March 13, 2005
ATLANTA – Dasha Potapova clinched a straight-set victory over Agustina Arechavaleta at No. 3 singles as 17th-ranked Georgia Tech (10-2, 4-0 ACC) recorded a 7-0 win over No. 71 NC State (7-4, 0-1 ACC) Sunday afternoon in Raleigh to remain undefeated in ACC play.
“Overall the girls played solid tennis today,” said Georgia Tech head coach Bryan Shelton. “We came back after an emotional match yesterday and really passed the test today.”
The Yellow Jackets came back after falling behind 3-1 to Wake Forest on Saturday to record a 4-3 match victory.
“We are looking forward to the Georgia match on Wednesday,” said Shelton. “Last year we lost a tight match and hopefully this year we will have better results.”
On Sunday, Tech got off to a quick start as Alison Silverio and Whitney McCray recorded an 8-2 win over Julia Roach and Allison Barry at No. 3 doubles while Kristi Miller and Dasha Potapova clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win in the No. 2 slot. Lyndsay Shosho and Kelly Anderson then won their match, 9-7, at No. 1 doubles to give the Yellow Jackets the sweep.
Georgia Tech then swept all six singles matches for the perfect 7-0 victory. Five of the six singles matches finished in straight sets, while Silverio recorded a three-set victory at No. 4 singles for the seventh and final point for the Yellow Jackets.
“Overall, it was a great weekend for us,” said Shelton. “We have a 4-0 record in conference matches and it really feels great to get off to a good start in our ACC campaign.”
Georgia Tech will return to action Wednesday when it travels to Athens to take on the third-ranked Bulldogs at 3 p.m.
Georgia Tech 7 NCSU 0
1. K. Anderson/L. Shosho (GT) def. B. Orlay/E. Johansson (NCSU) 9-7
2. K. Miller/D. Potapova (GT) def. D. Stadelmann/A. Arechavaleta (NCSU) 8-4
3. A. Silverio/W. McCray (GT) def. J. Roach/A. Barry (NCSU) 8-2
1. K. Miller (GT) def. B. Orlay (NCSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. K. Anderson (GT) def. E. Johansson (NCSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. D. Potapova (GT) def. A. Arechavaleta (NCSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. A. Silverio (GT) def. D. Stadelmann (NCSU) 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
5. L. Shosho (GT) def. J. Roach (NCSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. W. McCray (GT) def. C. Torres (NCSU) 6-3, 6-4