March 9, 2013
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech women’s tennis team, ranked No. 32, dropped a tough 6-1 decision to No. 13 Miami Saturday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Senior Elizabeth Kilborn recorded the Yellow Jackets’ only point as Tech fell to 5-5 overall and 0-2 in the ACC. Miami improved to 8-3 and 2-1 in the conference with the win.
Miami got on the board first, winning the doubles point with victories on courts two and three. Tech took the early edge with an 8-5 win by freshmen Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey over Miami’s 43rd-ranked team of Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite on court one. Woodard and Kurey improved to 13-4 overall this year and 9-1 in dual match doubles play.
The decisive doubles match was a battle between Tech’s Elizabeth Kilborn and Jasmine Minor and Miami’s Melissa Bolivar and Kelsey Laurente. After falling behind 3-1, Kilborn and Minor fought back to tie the score at 3. From there, it would never be more than a one game lead until the end as the Canes edged the Jackets 9-7.
Miami took a 2-0 lead when Albuquerque downed Kurey, 6-1, 6-3 on court four. The Canes’ Laurente, ranked No. 74, defeated Tech’s Woodard, ranked No. 104, 6-1, 6-4 on court two to put Miami up 3-0.
Kilborn, ranked No. 65, put Tech on the board with a hard-fought 6-4, 6-3 win over Miami’s Lileikite, ranked No. 110, on court one but the Canes quickly followed with a 6-3, 7-6 win by 91st-ranked Clementina Riobueno over Tech’s Wacker on court five to clinch the win.
Miami’s Bolivar added to the Canes’ total with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Tech’s Minor on court six. In a marathon battle to end the day, Wagner bested Tech’s Prokhnevska 7-5, 0-6, 7-5 on court three.
Georgia Tech is back in action tomorrow when the Yellow Jackets host the No. 16 Florida State Seminoles at noon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women’s tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
Miami vs Georgia Tech
Mar 09, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#16 Miami 6, #32 Georgia Tech 1
1. #65 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. #110 Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-4, 6-3
2. #74 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. #104 Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-1, 6-4
3. Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 7-5, 0-6, 7-5
4. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 6-1, 6-3
5. #91 Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Muriel Wacker (GT) 6-3, 7-6
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-2, 7-6
1. Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. #43 Stephanie Wagner/Lina Lileikite (UM) 8-5
2. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Elizabeth Kilborn/Jasmine Minor (GT) 9-7
3. Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Muriel Wacker/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 8-5
Miami 8-3, 2-1 ACC; National ranking #16
Georgia Tech 5-5, 0-2 ACC; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,1,5,6,3)
Match played indoors