April 21, 2006
CARY, N.C. – Top-ranked Kristi Miller dropped just two games en route to a 6-0, 6-2 win to help No. 10 Georgia Tech (19-5) to a 4-0 victory over No. 38 NC State (16-9) Friday morning in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament, which is being played at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C.
With the win, the Yellow Jackets advance to Saturday’s semifinal match against Clemson at 9 a.m. Livestats for the match will be available at www.ramblinwreck.com.
(The match was originally scheduled to begin at 10 a.m., but it has been moved to 9 a.m. due to thunderstorms that have been forecasted to begin in the early afternoon)
The win against NC State was the Jackets’ eighth under head coach Bryan Shelton, as Tech is now 8-0 against the Wolfpack under the former Yellow Jacket All-American.
With the Jackets leading 1-0 following doubles play, Miller quickly downed the `Pack’s Barbara Orlay in straight sets to extend her singles winning streak to six matches, dating back to the end of March.
Junior 107th-ranked Tarryn Rudman followed with her third-straight win, a 6-3, 6-3 victory at the No. 4 singles position against NC State’s Nandita Chandrasekar before rookie Christy Striplin captured match point with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Neils Barringer at the No. 6 slot.
The Yellow Jacket tandem of Kacie Anson and Alison Silverio downed Shona Lee and Julia Roach, 8-2, at the No. 3 position while Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray, competing at the second doubles spot, stopped the Pack’s Nandita Chandrasekar and Elin Stahl Johansson, 8-3, to give the Jackets a 1-0 lead in the match.
North Carolina and Clemson played their quarterfinal match at 9 a.m. Friday morning, but were still in action at the conclusion of Tech’s match against the Wolfpack.
Tennis Match Results
NC State vs Georgia Tech
Apr 21, 2006 at Cary, N.C.
#10 Georgia Tech 4, #38 NC State 0
1. #1 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Barbara Orlay (ST) 6-0, 6-2
2. #60 Lyndsay Shosho (GT) vs. #119 Shona Lee (ST) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. #71 Alison Silverio (GT) vs. Alejandra Guerra (ST) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
4. #107 Tarryn Rudman (GT) def. Nandita Chandrasekar (ST) 6-3, 6-3
5. Whitney McCray (GT) vs. Julia Roach (ST) 6-6 (3-1), unfinished
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Neils Barringer (ST) 6-2, 6-2
1. #9 Miller/Shosho (GT) vs. Barbara Orlay/Alejandra Guerra (ST) 6-4, unfinished
2. Kelly Anderson/McCray (GT) def. Chandrasekar/Elin Stahl Johansson (ST) 8-3
3. Kacie Anson/Silverio (GT) def. Roach/Lee (ST) 8-2
NC State 16-9; National ranking #38
Georgia Tech 19-5; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,4,6)