Jan. 20, 2010
ATLANTA – Georgia Tech captured five singles matches in straight sets, started by Miguel Muguruza at No. 4, and Eliot Potvin at No. 1, and cruised past Wofford, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets improved to 4-0 this season, looking ahead to a 1 p.m. match Sunday against South Carolina. Wofford fell to 0-2.
Muguruza, a junior from Wesley Chapel, Fla., was the first to finish Wednesday, defeating Paul Bartholomy, 6-1, 6-1, and improving his singles record this season to 15-3. He also won his doubles match with Juan Spir, dispatching Tinus Van Wyk and Drew Superstein, 8-3.
Potvin, a senior from Hampden, Maine, followed with a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Van Wyk at No. 1 singles, improving to 10-4. He also won his doubles match with Dean O’Brien, defeated Alan Donald and Paul Bartholomy, 8-2, at No. 1 to help the Jackets capture the doubles point.
“I got off to e quick start today, which helped me to keep the momentum throughout,” said Potvin. “In the second set, he fought back and played better, but I was able to raise my level of play and close out the match.”
O’Brien clinched the match for the Jackets with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Stuart Robertson at No. 2. Dusan Miljevic, ranked No. 112 in the nation, downed Michael Schecter, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 singles to improve to 11-3 this year, and freshman Magin Ortiga got past Superstein at No. 5, 7-5, 6-4.
Tech played its third straight match without All-American Guillermo Gomez, who sprained an ankle in Friday’s season opener, yet the Jackets have prospered despite his absence.
“We all prepare to play whatever spot we’re put in,” said Potvin. “The mentality is the same. It’s important to learn how to win with whoever is in the lineup. Everybody looks good so far. The hard work everybody put in in the fall and over Christmas is paying off so far. We’re looking forward to the South Carolina match. It will be a good test.”
Tennis Match Results
Wofford College vs Georgia Tech
Jan 20, 2010 at Atlanta, Ga.
#43 Georgia Tech 6, Wofford College 1
1. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Tinsu Van Wyk (WOFM) 6-1, 6-3
2. Dean O’Brien (GT) def. Stuart Robertson (WOFM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Alan Donald (WOFM) def. Juan Spir (GT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Paul Bartholomy (WOFM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Drew Superstein (WOFM) 7-5, 6-3
6. #112 Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. Michael Schecter (WOFM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Eliot Potvin/Dean O’Brien (GT) def. Alan Donald/Paul Bartholomy (WOFM) 8-2
2. Juan Spir/Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Tinsu Van Wyk/Drew Superstein (WOFM) 8-3
3. Stuart Robertson/Tom Wood (WOFM) def. Ryan Smith/Dusan Miljevic (GT) 8-6
Wofford College 0-2
Georgia Tech 4-0; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,1,2,6,5)