CHESTNUT HILL, Ma. –The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (11-10, 6-6) bested Boston College, 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at the Flynn Recreation Complex.
With the win, the Jackets split their final two matches of the regular season after falling to No. 27 Notre Dame on Friday.
Georgia Tech got off to a quick start, winning the doubles point, thanks to victories from No. 72 Carlos Divar/Philip Gresk and Andrew Li/Cole Gromley.
Divar/Gresk topped Derek Austin/Connor Mullins, 6-2, and Li/Gromley defeated Chris Grasel/Markus Nordby, 6-2.
In singles, Li picked up a win against Nordby, winning 6-4, 6-4, however, Gresk fell to Max Mendelsohn, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 and Pablo Schelcher dropped his match to Conor Mullins, 6-4, 7-6 to tie the match at two apiece.
No. 27 Divar’s 3-6, 7-6, 6-1 victory over Austin gave the Jackets a 3-2 advantage.
Gromley the picked up the match-clinching win over Alexander Chieffalo, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 and Brandon Freestone defeated Sean Mullins, 6-4, 6-7, 10-8 to give the Jackets a 5-2 victory.
The Jackets earned the No. 6 seed and will face the No. 11 seeded Louisville Cardinals in round one of the ACC Championships on Thursday at 11:30 a.m in Cary, North Carolina.
1. Carlos Divar (GT) def. Derek Austin (BC) 3-6, 7-6, 6-1
2. Andrew Li (GT) def. Markus Nordby (BC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Max Mendelsohn (BC) def. Phillip Gresk (GT) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Conor Mullins (BC) def. Pablo Schelcher (GT) 6-4, 7-6
5. Cole Gromley (GT) def. Alexander Chieffalo (BC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Brandon Freestone (GT) def. Sean Mullins (BC) 6-4, 6-7, 10-8
1. Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk (GT) def. Derek Austin/Conor Mullins (BC) 6-2
2. Andrew Li/Cole Gromley (GT) def. Chris Grasel/Markus Nordby (BC) 6-2
3. Max Mendelsohn/Sean Mullins (BC) vs. Pablo Schelcher/Joseph Gandolfo (GT) 4-3, unfinished