THE FLATS – Georgia Tech men’s tennis swept The Citadel in a 7-0 Sunday afternoon victory at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Yellow Jackets (5-2, 0-0 ACC) defeated the Bulldogs (1-3, 0-0 SoCon) to improve to 4-1 at home this season.
No. 31 Marcus McDaniel/Pablo Schelcher, No. 41 Keshav Chopra/Andres Martin and Zummy Bauer/Brandon McKinney each picked up wins in singles to start the sweep and clinch the doubles point. Chopra/Martin now sport a team best 5-2 dual match doubles record when paired together, while Bauer/McKinney improved to 3-1 in dual match doubles.
In singles, McDaniel picked up the first win as he took court one in an impressive 6-1, 6-0, performance over the Bulldogs’ Will Graham. McDaniel is 6-0 in dual match singles this year.
Next, No. 59 Martin made quick work of Josiah Schainblatt picking up a 6-1, 6-2 win. Martin is now 3-0 in singles on court two.
With the Jackets up 3-0 Brandon Freestone sealed the team win beating Sebastian Kamieniecki on court five 6-2, 6-2. Freestone is undefeated in dual match singles owning a 4-0 record.
McKinney, Chopra and Chen Dong each collected singles wins to finish off the Bulldogs. McKinney and Chopra are both now 4-2 in dual match singles, while Dong is now 3-0 with each victory coming on court six.
Overall Tech is 30-7 (.811) in dual match singles and 13-7 (.650) in dual match doubles.
Tech will be back on the court on Friday, Feb. 19th, when the Jackets head to Miami to open up conference play against the Hurricanes.
1. #31 Marcus McDaniel and Pablo Schelcher (GT) def. Josiah Schainblatt and Zvonko Bencedic (CIT) 6-2
2. #41 Keshav Chopra and Andres Martin (GT) def. Hayden Shoemake and Will Graham (CIT) 6-2
3. Zummy Bauer and Brandon McKinney (GT) def. Phillip Quinn and Andrew Darby (CIT) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Marcus McDaniel (GT) def. Will Graham (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
2. #59 Andres Martin (GT) def. Josiah Schainblatt (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Keshav Chopra (GT) def. Hayden Shoemake (CIT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Brandon McKinney (GT) def. Zvonko Bencedic (CIT) 6-4, 6-1
5. Brandon Freestone (GT) def. Sebastian Kamieniecki (CIT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chen Dong (GT) def. Andrew Darby (CIT) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech athletics, providing scholarship, operations and facilities support for Georgia Tech’s 400-plus student-athletes. Be a part of developing Georgia Tech’s Everyday Champions and helping the Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest levels of college athletics by supporting the A-T Fund’, which directly provides scholarships for Georgia Tech student-athletes, and the Support The Swarm Fund, created to give fans an opportunity to help Georgia Tech athletics maintain its recent momentum through the financial challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic! To learn more about supporting the Yellow Jackets, visit atfund.org.
For the latest information on Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis, follow us on Twitter (@GT_MTEN), Instagram (GT_MTEN), Facebook (Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com