THE FLATS – Georgia Tech softball opens its 2021 season with the 22nd Buzz Classic from Feb. 12-14 at Mewborn Field. The Yellow Jackets will square off against Boise State, Radford and Georgia State throughout the weekend.
Friday, Feb. 12 @ 11 a.m. vs. Boise State
Friday, Feb. 12 @ 2 p.m. vs. Boise State
Saturday, Feb. 13 @ 1 p.m. vs. Radford
Saturday, Feb. 13 @ 4 p.m. vs. Radford
Sunday, Feb. 14 @ 4 p.m. vs. Georgia State
All Georgia Tech games over the weekend will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Friday/Saturday – Parking is available in the McCamish Lot or on Fowler St.
Sunday – Parking is available in the Family Housing Deck.
- Georgia Tech enters its fourth season under the tutelage of head coach Aileen Morales.
- Following a pandemic-shortened 2020 season, Georgia Tech returns 19 players to the 2021 roster.
- Among the returners are two-time All-ACC selection Cameron Stanford and 2020 preseason All-ACC selection Breanna Roper.
- Along with the bevvy of returners, the Jackets also added six freshmen to the team.
- The Jackets went a combined 34-4 in the Buzz Classic during Aileen Morales’ years in the dugout, going 18-2 as a player and 16-2 a coach.
- The matchup between Georgia Tech and Boise State will be the first meeting of the two programs in each school’s history.
- The Jackets currently hold a 9-1 lead over Radford in the all-time series. Georgia Tech won the first eight meetings between the two and also took the most recent contest with a 3-0 win at home in 2017.
- Georgia Tech has nearly doubled Georgia State in wins in the all-time series, leading the Panthers 49-25. The longest win streak throughout the series for the Jackets was 13 wins from 2003-07. The Jackets also won the last matchup 12-6 on the road in 2019.
Bianca Mora discusses the upcoming 2021 season and Buzz Classic.
Games at Mewborn Field will not be open to the general public during the 2021 season. Attendance in 2021 will be limited to:
- Mew Crew members (Mew Crew seating is sold out);
- A limited number of Georgia Tech students (students will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis – must present a valid BuzzCard student ID at Mewborn Field on gameday for admission);
- Georgia Tech player guests.
Mewborn Field will operate at a reduced capacity with social distancing and face coverings required for everyone in attendance. Softball fans who are unable to attend games during the 2021 season can continue to support the Jackets and help Tech athletics navigate the significant financial challenges associated with the Covid-19 pandemic by investing in a gift to the Support The Swarm Fund and/or supporting the softball program through the Mew Crew.
NOTE: ACC Network Extra (ACCNX) programming is available online via the ESPN app or WatchESPN.com. Viewers must subscribe to a cable/satellite/digital provider that carries the ACC Network to view ACCNX programming.
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech athletics, providing scholarship, operations and facilities support for Georgia Tech’s 400-plus student-athletes. Be a part of developing Georgia Tech’s Everyday Champions and helping the Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest levels of college athletics by supporting the A-T Fund’s Annual Athletic Scholarship Fund, which directly provides scholarships for Georgia Tech student-athletes, and the Support The Swarm Fund, created to give fans an opportunity to help Georgia Tech athletics maintain its recent momentum through the financial challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic! To learn more about supporting the Yellow Jackets, visit atfund.org.
– #TogetherWeSwarm –