March 5, 2011
ATLANTA – Caroline Lilley, Elizabeth Kilborn and Lynn Blau captured singles victories for Georgia Tech, but 12th-ranked Miami won the doubles point and the top two singles matches en route to a 5-2 Atlantic Coast Conference women’s tennis victory Saturday at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets dropped to 6-5 this spring, 1-2 in the ACC, while Miami improved to 9-2, 2-0 in ACC matches. Tech returns to action March 19 at No. 10 Vanderbilt.
The Hurricanes took control of the match quickly, winning the doubles point, then capturing straight-set wins at No. 1 and 2 singles. Bianca Eickhorn, ranked 10th in the nation, easily got past 84th-ranked Christina Ngo, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 singles, and 75th-ranked Anna Bartenstein followed soon after with a 6-3, 6-2 win over 40th-ranked Jillian O’Neill at No. 2.
“We’re going to learn some lessons from today’s match,” said Tech coach. “To beat good teams consistently, we have to play and compete until the last bell sounds. We didn’t do that in all of our matches today.”
Lilley, ranked 86th, got Tech on the board at No. 3 with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Danielle Mills as the second wave of singles matches began on the indoor courts. But Miami’s Melissa Bolivar defeated Sasha Krupina at No. 4, 6-2, 6-4, to clinch the match for the Hurricanes.
Kilborn defeated Gabriela Mejia in three sets at No. 5, and Blau finished off Brittany Dubins in straight sets at No. 6 after the Hurricanes had captured the match.
Miami won the doubles point by prevailing in two very close matches at No. 1 and 3. Eickhorn and Bartenstein, the nation’s 27th-ranked doubles team, staved off a furious rally from Tech’s No. 1 tandem of Ngo and O’Neill to win 8-6, while Danielle Mills and Brittany Dubins outlasted Rocio Lopez and Caroline Lilley by the same score at No. 3. Tech’s No. 2 team of Sasha Krupina and Elizabeth Kilborn defeated Gabrielle Mejia and Melissa Bolivar, 9-7, at No. 2.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Georgia Tech
Mar 05, 2011 at Atlanta, Ga.
#12 Miami 4, #21 Georgia Tech 3
1. #10 Bianca Eichkorn (MIA) def. #84 Viet Ha Ngo (GT) 6-1, 6-2
2. #75 Anna Bartenstein (MIA) def. #40 Jillian O’Neill (GT) 6-3, 6-2
3. #86 Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Danielle Mills (MIA) 6-1, 6-4
4. Melissa Bolivar (MIA) def. Sasha Krupina (GT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Gabriela Mejia (MIA) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Brittany Dubins (MIA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. #27 Bianca Eichkorn/Anna Bartenstein (MIA) def. #60 Viet Ha Ngo/Jillian O’Neill (GT) 8-6
2. Sasha Krupina/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Gabriela Mejia/Melissa Bolivar (MIA) 9-7
3. Danielle Mills/Brittany Dubins (MIA) def. Rocio Alberca Lopez/Caroline Lilley (GT) 8-6
Miami 9-2, 2-0; National ranking #12
Georgia Tech 6-5, 1-2; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)
Match played indoors