ATLANTA (Feb. 26) — Senior Sabrina Pardo won at No. 1 singles to clinch Georgia Tech’s 9-0 win against Pennsylvania in women’s collegiate tennis action Saturday afternoon, February 26, at the Bill Moore Tennis Center, giving the Yellow Jackets their third consecutive shutout.
Pardo downed Penn’s Shubba Srinivasan, 6-4, 6-4, to clinch the victory for the Jackets (5-1), while sophomore Laura Ozolins and Charlotte Pernet won at No. 3 doubles in the last match of the day to preserve the shutout. Ozolins and Pernet downed Penn*s Louani Bascara and Anastasia Pozdniakova, 8-6.
“I thought we beat a good team today,” said Tech head coach Bryan Shelton. “I didn’t know what to expect from Penn coming into the match, but I thought they pushed us, and we met the challenge. I was pleased with our effort. I believe we have some momentum going now, and I want us to continue to build on it.”
Tech’s win marks the first time since 1989 that the Jackets have shutout opponents in three straight matches.
Junior Bobbi Guthrie, freshman Mysti Morris, freshman Jaime Wong, freshman Charlotte Pernet and sophomore Laura Ozolins all joined Pardo with a win in singles play. The Jackets dropped just one set in six singles matches on the afternoon.
Guthrie and Pardo teamed to win at the No. 1 doubles position, and Morris and Wong won together at No. 2.
Georgia Tech returns to action on Sunday, March 5, hosting Auburn at 12 noon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
#49 Georgia Tech 9, Pennsylvania 0
Saturday, Feb. 25, 2000
Bill Moore Tennis Center (Outdoors)
1. Sabrina Pardo (GT) d. Shubba Srinivasan (P), 6-4, 6-4
2. Bobbi Guthrie (GT) d. Lenka Beranova (P), 6-3, 6-1
3. Mysti Morris (GT) d. Anastasia Pozdniakova (P), 6-2, 6-1
4. Jaime Wong (GT) d. Jolene Sloat (P), 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Charlotte Pernet (GT) d. Louani Bascara (P), 6-1, 6-2
6. Laura Ozolins (GT) d. Elana Gold (P), 6-0, 6-2
1. Guthrie/Pardo (GT) d. Beranova/Rochelle Raiss (P), 8-6
2. Morris/Wong (GT) d. Carla Dorsey/Gold (P), 8-2
3. Ozolins/Pernet (GT) d. Bascara/Pozdniakova