Feb. 19, 2006
AUBURN, Ala. – Christy Striplin and Kacie Anson began the afternoon with a come-from-behind victory at No. 3 doubles and the Yellow Jackets swept the remaining two doubles and all six singles matches as No. 7 Georgia Tech (4-1) defeated Auburn (3-2), 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Luther Young Tennis Complex in Auburn, Ala.
Trailing 5-2 against the Tigers’ combo of Ashley Cowart and Erin Gray, Striplin and Anson won six of the next seven games to earn an 8-6 victory before 42nd-ranked Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray earned the deciding doubles point with a tiebreaker win at No. 2 doubles.
McCray helped Tech to a 2-0 lead as the first singles finisher, defeating Auburn’s Dzeljan Memisi, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 position and the seventh-ranked Miller, playing atop the singles lineup, earned a 6-2, 6-0 win to push the score to 3-0.
Striplin captured the deciding match point for the second-straight day, defeating Erin Gray, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 6 singles.
No. 35 Anderson, playing against Tori Almagno in the No. 4 position, won her match 6-3, 6-4, before the 71st-ranked Shosho concluded the sweep with a 7-5, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles.
The Yellow Jackets will return to Atlanta for their first home match of the season this Thursday when they host the 57th-ranked Rice Owls at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs. Auburn
February 19, 2006 at Auburn, Ala.
#7 Georgia Tech 7, Auburn 0
1. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Ashley Cowart (AU) 6-2, 6-0
2. #71 Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Alex Haney (AU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #35 Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Tori Almagno (AU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Whitney McCray (GT) def. Dzeljan Memisi (AU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Erin Gray (AU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #26 Miller/Shosho (GT) def. Almagno/Chappell (AU) 9-7
2. #42 Anderson/McCray (GT) def. Haney/Leigh Tippins (AU) 9-8
3. Striplin/Kacie Anson (GT) def. Cowart/Gray (AU) 8-6
Georgia Tech 4-1; National Ranking #7
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3), Singles (5,1,3,6,4,2)