Sept. 3, 2015
ATHENS, Ga. – The Georgia Tech volleyball team swept Mercer in its first match at the UGA Challenge on Thursday at the Ramsey Center.
How It Happened
The Jackets jumped out to a 13-3 lead and stretched that to 19-8. Tech scored the next six-straight points to win 25-8 with help from three blocks and a kill by Sydney Wilson, and a pair of kills by Ashley Askin. Mercer took its first lead of the match 14-13 and at 24-24, Tech scored the next two points to narrowly win game two, 26-24.
Georgia Tech went on a six-point rally in the third set with half of those points scored on Teegan Van Gunst service aces to go up 15-9. Tech didn’t take its foot off the gas pedal, winning 25-15.
“I thought we did really well, but we didn’t stay as consistent as we needed to stay,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “We had a lot of players be effective with serving and hitting. It was good to see them make sure we’re balancing our offense and doing the things we needed to do to win.
I thought that defensively we had eight aces, 10 blocks and 33 digs, so that’s pretty good. I think we did a good job and it was a good start to the tournament. Hopefully, we’re now building momentum into the next two matches.”
– The Jackets extend their record to 29-1 all-time against the Bears.
– Tech didn’t commit a hitting error in the first set – swinging at .636 (14 kills on 22 attempts).
– Georgia Tech out-hit Mercer .378 to .047.
– The Yellow Jackets put up a season-high 10 blocks, including two solo stuffs by Sydney Wilson
– Teegan Van Gunst led all players with 10 kills.
– Three Yellow Jackets hit above .400 (min. five kills) – Sydney Wilson (.467), Teegan Van Gunst (.450) and Ashley Askin (.429).
– Tech tallied eight aces, four of which were scored by Teegan Van Gunst to match her career-best.
Georgia Tech continues action at the UGA Challenge on Friday with a pair of matches against Georgia Southern at 10 a.m. and Georgia at 7 p.m. Both matches will be available on WREK 91.1 FM, and Georgia Tech vs. Georgia can be viewed on the SEC Network +.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.