THE FLATS – Georgia Tech will be the No. 10 seed and will face No. 15 seed Notre Dame Tuesday in the opening round of next week’s 66th annual New York Life Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament, which will be played at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C.
The Yellow Jackets (14-17, 6-12 ACC) won their final two games of the regular season, knocking off Boston College at home, 81-78 in overtime, and NC State on the road, 63-61, in the last six days. Tech and Notre Dame split their regular-season series, each winning on their home floor. The Jackets captured a 63-61 victory on Jan. 22 in Atlanta, and the Fighting Irish took a 69-59 win on Feb. 10 in South Bend.
Notre Dame (13-18, 3-15 ACC) fell Saturday to Pittsburgh, 56-53, the seventh consecutive loss for the Fighting Irish since their Feb. 10 win over Tech.
The schedule for Tuesday’s opening round has been set, with No. 12 seed Miami opening against No. 13 Wake Forest at noon, followed by Tech-Notre Dame at 2 p.m. No. 11 Boston College will face No. 14 Pitt at 7 p.m. The remaining seeds will be determined after the rest of the ACC action today.
The Tech-Notre Dame game will be televised on the ACC’s Raycom Sports Network (Peachtree TV in Atlanta) in the ACC footprint, and ESPN outside the ACC markets. Radio coverage will be provided for all Tech games in the tournament on the Georgia Tech Learfield IMG College radio network (680 AM, 93.7 FM in Atlanta) and can also be heard on satellite radio (Sirius ch. 81, XM ch. 81, Internet 81 and 371).
This is Georgia Tech’s 40th ACC Tournament appearance, and the Yellow Jackets have a 26-36 all-time record in the event. The Yellow Jackets have won three championships, in 1985 (Atlanta), 1990 (Charlotte) and 1993 (Charlotte).
Friday Media Session Audio
Head coach Josh Pastner
Sophomore guard Jose Alvarado
Junior center James Banks
The winner of the Tech-Notre Dame game will advance to face No. 7 Louisville at 7 p.m. Wednesday, followed by No. 6 Syracuse against the Boston College-Pittsburgh winner. The Miami-Wake Forest winner advances to face No. 5 Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. Wednesday, preceded by No. 8 NC State against No. 9 Clemson at noon.
The tournament will culminate with a pair of semifinal games on Friday night, beginning at 7 p.m. and the championship game on Saturday evening. The championship game is set for a primetime 8:30 p.m. start.
All 14 tournament games will be nationally televised on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU and the ACC’s Raycom Sports Network (ACCN). In addition, all games also will be available via ACC Network Extra.
Below is the full schedule for the 2019 New York Life ACC Tournament:
Tuesday, March 12
- Noon – No. 12 Miami vs. No. 13 Wake Forest (ESPN/Raycom)
- 2 p.m. – No. 10 Georgia Tech vs. No. 15 Notre Dame (ESPN/Raycom)
- 7 p.m. – No. 11 Boston College vs. No. 14 Pitt (ESPNU/Raycom)
Wednesday, March 13
- Noon – No. 8 NC State vs. No. 9 Clemson (ESPN/Raycom)
- 2 p.m. – No. 5 Virginia Tech vs. Tuesday noon winner (ESPN/Raycom)
- 7 p.m. – No. 7 Louisville vs. Tuesday 2 p.m. winner (ESPN2/Raycom)
- 9 p.m. – No. 6 Syracuse vs. Tuesday 7 p.m. winner (ESPN2/Raycom)
Thursday, March 14
- 12:30 p.m. – No. 1 Virginia vs. Wednesday noon winner (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
- 2:30 p.m. – No. 4 Florida State vs. Wednesday 2 p.m. winner (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
- 7 p.m. – No. 2 North Carolina vs. Wednesday 7 p.m. winner (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
- 9 p.m. – No. 3 Duke vs. Wednesday 9 p.m. winner (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
Friday, March 15
- 7 p.m. – Thursday afternoon winners (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
- 9 p.m. – Thursday evening winners (ESPN or ESPN2/Raycom)
Saturday, March 16
- 8:30 p.m. – Friday evening winners (ESPN/Raycom)
ABOUT GEORGIA TECH MEN’S BASKETBALL
Georgia Tech’s men’s basketball team is in its third year under head coach Josh Pastner. Tech has been a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference since 1979, won three ACC Championships (1985, 1990, 1993), played in the NCAA Tournament 16 times and played in two Final Fours (1990, 2004). Connect with Georgia Tech Men’s Basketball on social media by liking their Facebook Page, or following on Twitter (@GTMBB) and Instagram.