ATLANTA (Apr. 2) — The No. 33 Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech defeated the visiting Maryland Terrapins (6-7, 0-3 ACC) 7-2 in women’s tennis action Sunday inside the Bill Moore Tennis Center. The second ACC victory on the weekend for the Jackets brought their record to 12-5 (3-3 ACC).
Tech’s Sabrina Pardo and Bobbi Guthrie fought to come from behind and beat Virginia’s Delila Causevic and Jessica Johnson 9-7 in the No. 1 doubles match to clinch the win for the Jackets.
In singles play, only one match was decided in two sets. Tech’s Bobbi Guthrie defeated Stacy Walkowitz 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 3 spot. Jaime Wong came back after losing the first set to beat Terrapin Catherine Valantin 2-6, 6-1, 6-3.
The Jackets return to action on April 8th in Tallahasse, Florida as they take on Florida State University.
No. 33 Georgia Tech 7, Maryland 2
April 2, 2000, Bill Moore Tennis Center (In)
1. Delila Causevic (UM) d. Sabrina Pardo (GT) 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
2. Jessica Johnson (UM) d. Mysti Morris (GT) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
3. Bobbi Guthrie (GT) d. Stacy Walkowitz (UM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jaime Wong (GT) d. Catherine Valantin (UM) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Laura Ozolins (GT) d. Chrissie Terrill (UM) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Charlotte Pernet (GT) Default
1. Pardo/Guthrie (GT) d. Causevic/ Johnson (UM) 9-7
2. Morris/Wong (GT) v. Walkowitz/ Terrill (UM) not contested
3. TPernet/Ozolins (GT) default