Feb. 6, 2007
ATLANTA – Jordan DeLass and George Gvelesiani defeated both of their singles opponents in straight sets to lift No. 27 Georgia Tech to wins over Radford, 5-2, and Georgia Southern,7-0, in Saturday’s season opening double header at the Bill Moore Tennis Center giving the Jackets a 2-and-0 start to the season.
Play began at 10 a.m. with the Jackets sweeping Radford in doubles. David North and Gvelesiani paired to defeat Martin Sayer and James Lloyd, 9-7. DeLass and Eric Molnar downed Mehdi Benhammou and Luka Rista, 8-6 and, Jose Muguruza and Luke Rassow-Kantor defeated Zach Watson and Patrick Metham, 8-4.
Georgia Tech then went on to win all but two of their six singles matches with Radford including a straight set victory by DeLass over Metham, 6-1, 6-0 and Gvelesiani’s 6-1, 7-6(6) defeat of Rista.
DeLass came back in the second-half of competition to down Georgia Southern’s Emmanuel Nkoueleue, 6-2, 6-3 while Gvelesiani battled back from down to games to win the second set and defeat Borja Malet, 6-2, 6-4.
The only Jackets to fall Saturday where David North, ranked 36th in the country, defeated by Martin Sayer, ranked 38th, 6-3, 6-4 and, Muguruza who fell to Lloyd 6-3, 6-0.
Both Jackets rebounded in their next matches against Georgia Southern where North quickly dispatched Joris De Weerdt, 6-0, 6-1 and, Muguruza downed Matt Sands 6-2, 6-3.
Freshman Luke Rassow-Kantor made a strong debut Saturday earning two single victories, including a three set battle with Radford’s MehdiBenhammou and a straight set win over Georgia Southern’s Greg Bekkers, 6-0, 6-4.
Also making his dual match debut was Freshman Austin Roebuck who came away with a convincing 6-2, 6-2 win over Georgia Southern’s Phillip Prins.
The Jackets won every double match Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Southern vs Georgia Tech
2/3/2007 at Georgia Tech
#27 Georgia Tech 7, Georgia Southern 0
1. #36 David North (GT) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSUM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jordan DeLass (GT) def. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSUM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jose Muguruza (GT) def. Mattew Sands (GSUM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Luke Rassow-Kantor (GT) def. Greg Bekkers (GSUM) 6-0, 6-4
5. George Gvelesiani (GT) def. Borja Malet (GSUM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Austin Roebuck (GT) def. Philip Prins (GSUM) 6-2, 6-2
1. David North/Jose Muguruza (GT) def. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Philip Prins (GSUM) 8-4
2. Jordan DeLass/Eric Molnar (GT) def. Joris De Weerdt/Greg Bekkers (GSUM) 8-5
3. Scott Blackmon/George Gvelesiani (GT) def. Mattew Sands/Neil Shine (GSUM) 9-8 (7-1)
Georgia Southern 0-1
Georgia Tech 1-0; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)