April 19, 2015
TECH STARTERS: Spingola/CF, Bailey/2B, Gonzalez/LF, Johnson/DH, Murray/C, Justus/SS, Smith/1B, Innis/RF, Peurifoy/RF, Gold/SP.
BC STARTERS: Palomaki/3B, Butera/2B, Cronin/1B, Strem/CF, Sciortino/C, Casey/RF, Hoggarth/LF, Hernandez/DH, Adams/SS, Adams/SP.
· Boston College completed a weekend sweep of No. 24 Georgia Tech with a 4-0 win on Sunday at Commander Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass.
· Tech’s Matt Gonzalez doubled with two outs in the seventh to break up a perfect-game bid by BC starter Jesse Adams.
· The loss dropped the Yellow Jackets to 24-15 overall and 9-12 in the ACC, while the Eagles improved to 21-18, 9-11.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· BC plated a run in the first inning, and that would be the working margin Adams needed.
· The lefty allowed just the double down the left-field line by Gonzalez in his seven innings on the mound to improve to 2-2.
· Tech starter Brandon Gold yielded three runs with four strikeouts in his 6.1 innings on the mound, but backed by no run support, fell to 5-2.
· Nick Sciortino’s RBI grounder made it 1-0 in the first inning and would stand as the game-winner.
· BC added two runs of insurance in the seventh and another in the eighth.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
· Tech was limited to just two base runners in the game — Gonzalez’s double in the seventh and a two-out single from Thomas Smith in the eighth.
· Adams fanned seven and walked none over his seven innings, while John Nicklas and Justin Dunn pitched scoreless frames in the eighth and ninth.
“Give credit to Boston College. They pitched outstanding all weekend and didn’t walk anyone. We didn’t swing the bats well enough to win. I thought Brandon Gold did an outstanding job giving us a chance to win today, but we’ve got to regroup and have a better week next week.”
— Head Coach Danny Hall
UP NEXT: The Yellow Jackets return home Tuesday to welcome Kennesaw State. The game is set for 6 p.m. at Russ Chandler Stadium.