May 19, 2005
ATLANTA – Petra Dizdar held off 12th-ranked Kristi Miller’s third-set comeback to give 11th-seeded Texas a 4-3 win over No. 6 Georgia Tech Thursday in the Round of 16 at the NCAA Tournament. With the win, Texas will advance to face the winner of Kentucky-Tulane, while the Jackets’ season ends with a 21-4 record.
Dizdar won her first set at No. 1 singles, 4-6, but then quickly fell behind Miller in set No. 2, as the rookie All-American evened the match at 1-1 with a 6-1 set victory. Dizdar then broke Miller early in the third set and held off the surging freshman to clinch match victory for the Longhorns with a 6-4 mark in the final set.
Tech took a 1-0 lead in the match when the Jackets’ No. 3 doubles team broke the Longhorns’ duo of Kelly Baritot and Courtney Zauft at 7-7, before winning match point on a service ace by Whitney McCray, 9-7. The Jackets also got a win from Miller and Alison Silverio at the No. 1 position, as the 17th-ranked duo downed Texas’ Katie Ruckert and Kendra Strohm, 8-3.
Anderson made the score 2-0 in favor of the Yellow Jackets with an easy 6-0, 6-3 win over Strohm at No. 3 singles, but the Longhorns then won three-straight singles matches to take their first match lead at 3-2. Tech’s Lyndsay Shosho then set up the No. 1 slot for the match win when she came back to defeat Zauft, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 5 position.
The Jackets end their best season in history, winning a record-21 matches and posting an .840 winning percentage, another season mark. Miller will continue play in the NCAA Individual Singles Competition, which begins Monday morning at 9 a.m., and she will be joined by Silverio in the NCAA Individual Doubles Tournament, which begins Tuesday afternoon.
Texas 4, Georgia Tech 3
1. Petra Dizdar (T) d. Kristi Miller (GT), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
2. Mia Marovic (T) d. Dasha Potapova (GT), 6-4, 6-3
3. Kelly Anderson (GT) d. Kendra Strohm (T), 6-0, 6-3
4. Katie Ruckert (T) d. Alison Silverio (GT), 6-4, 6-1
5. Lyndsay Shosho (GT) d. Courtney Zauft (T), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Ristine Olson (T) d. Kacie Anson (GT), 7-5, 6-3
1. Miller/Silverio (GT) d. Ruckert/Strohm (T), 8-3
2. Dizdar/Marovic (T) d. Potapova/Shosho (GT), 8-5
3. Anderson/McCray (GT) d. Kelly Baritot/Zauft (T), 9-7