THE FLATS – Georgia Tech football added 22 student-athletes to its 2020 roster on Wednesday, the first day of the NCAA’s early signing period for football.
Head coach Geoff Collins’ first full class of newcomers includes 21 incoming freshmen and one graduate transfer. Nine of the 22 signees will join the Yellow Jackets mid-year, enrolling at Georgia Tech in January 2020.
“This is a historic day for Georgia Tech football, as we welcome the second-highest-rated class of recruits in program history, and the highest since 2007, to Atlanta,” Collins said. “These outstanding young men will be a big part of achieving the vision that all of us have for Georgia Tech football, which is to return it to being one of the most elite programs in all of college football. It is a talented class loaded with speed, size and length and we can’t wait to get them on campus, immerse them in our culture and develop them into elite players, on and off the field.”
Georgia Tech is likely to add additional newcomers in the NCAA’s late signing period for football, which begins on Wed., Feb. 5, 2020.
NOTING THE CLASS
- Georgia Tech’s 2020 recruiting class was ranked as high as No. 20 in the country and No. 4 in the Atlantic Coast Conference by Rivals on Wednesday, which makes it the second-highest-ranked class in program history. The Yellow Jackets signed Rivals’ 18th-ranked class in 2007, when current head coach Geoff Collins was Georgia Tech’s director of player personnel.
- Since Rivals began ranking recruiting classes in 2002, Georgia Tech’s 2007 and 2020 classes are the only ones to rank higher than 39th
- Wednesday’s 22 signees include six four-star prospects, which gives Georgia Tech 11 four- or five-star recruits since Collins’ arrival.
- According to 247Sports, Wednesday’s signees include six of the 35 highest-rated recruits in Georgia Tech history (dating back to 247Sports’ first rankings in 2000).
- Next year’s roster will include at least 14 of the 35 highest-rated recruits in Georgia Tech history.
- Eleven of Georgia Tech’s 22 recruits are from Georgia. Seven of the 22 are from Florida.
Geoff Collins National Signing Day Show - Dec. 18, 2019
Geoff Collins National Signing Day Press Conference - Dec. 18, 2019
Geoff Collins on ESPN National Signing Day Special - Dec. 18, 2019