Nov. 30, 2007
ATLANTA – Georgia Tech defensive tackle Darryl Richard was named a finalist for the 2007 Wuerffel Trophy. The award is presented by the All Sports Association to the college football player who best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement.
Richard is actively involved in the community. For the past three years, he visited Greene County elementary and middle schools, speaking on the importance of staying focused on academics. He was a part of the East Lake Park clean-up with the Georgia Student Leadership Forum – a group that teaches leadership. He has volunteered with Watkins Teen Summit, where the focus was on life decisions, and assisted with the Georgia Special Olympics.
Richard demonstrates his excellent leadership skills as president of Georgia Tech’s Student Athletic Association Board. He has addressed issues with the Georgia Tech Athletic Association Board of Trustees, and he received NCAA Certification to be a part of a committee on gender-equity and student-athlete well being.
Richard has received recognition for many of his accomplishments. He was named to the ACC All-Academic Football Team for 2006, ACC Academic Honor Roll for 2004-05 and 2005-06, Sports Illustrated All-Bowl team, and Georgia Tech All-Academic Team. He is an outstanding student who completed his undergraduate degree in three years and is currently in the Masters of Business Administration program.
As a graduate student, Richard is a leader in the community, the classroom and on the field. He has 60 career tackles, 21 tackles-for-loss, and 8.5 sacks as Tech’s starting defensive tackle.
On Nov. 7, the committee narrowed down 11 finalists from 58 nominations. The formal announcement of the 2007 Wuerffel Trophy winner will be Dec. 4 and the banquet date is scheduled for Feb. 15, 2008 at the Emerald Coast Conference Center in Fort Walton Beach, Fla.
2007 Wuerffel Trophy finalists are:
1. Spencer Larsen, senior linebacker, Arizona
2. Matt Allen, senior wide receiver, Brigham Young
3. Clint Stitser, senior quarterback, Fresno State
4. Darryl Richard, senior defensive tackle, Georgia Tech
5. J Leman, senior linebacker, Illinois
6. Jacob Tamme, senior tight end, Kentucky
7. Todd Peterson, junior wide receiver, Nebraska
8. Paul Smith, senior quarterback, Tulsa
9. Travis Dekker, junior tight end, USAF Academy
10. Zac Selmon, senior tight end, Wake Forest
11. Alex Brink, senior quarterback, Washington State