EUGENE, Ore. – Georgia Tech went 2-0 on the weekend in Eugene after defeating host Oregon on Sunday, 6-1 to improve to 2-0 on the season.
DOUBLES ACTION: For the second straight match, Tech won the doubles point to snag the early lead in the match. Tech won two of three doubles matches to secure the point as the tandem of Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renaud paired up to take down Alyssa Tobita and Shweta Sangwan, 6-2. The Jackets clinched the doubles point behind a 6-2 victory from Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones over Marlou Kluiving and Julia Eshet. Doubles play wrapped up with the Ducks taking a hard-fought 7-5 victory on court three between Nia Rose and Firanty Dwi Kahfiani against Nami Otsuka and Nadia Gizdova.
SINGLES PLAY: Singles play got underway and Otsuka was able to give Tech a 2-0 lead with a straight-set, 6-1, 6-0, decision over Eshet on court five before McAdoo followed suit on court two, claiming a 7-5, 6-0 victory over Rose. Gizdova clinched the match for Tech, downing Kahfiani, 6-4, 6-1, as Tech led 4-0 before Oregon got on the board with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 win by Tobita over Renaud. Hourigan and Jones each captured their singles wins for the final 6-1 match score as Hourigan bypassed Sangwan, 6-0, 6-7, 10-6 at the top seed, while Jones defeated Kluiving, 7-5, 2-6, 6-1.
QUOTABLE: “The match today was much tougher than the 6-1 final score. We came out and played really well in doubles. It was great to play two good matches on the road in preparation for ITA Kickoff Weekend.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech gets back in action hosting the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex Jan. 28-29 welcoming Kentucky, Penn and UCLA.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. Oregon Results
Match Score: Georgia Tech 6, Oregon 1
1. (GT) Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud def. (UO) Alyssa Tobita/Shweta Sangwan, 6-2
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones def. (UO) Marlou Kluiving/Julia Eshet, 6-2
3. (UO) Nia Rose/Rifanty Dwi Kahfiani def. (GT) Nami Otsuka/Nadia Gizdova, 7-5
Point: Georgia Tech
1. (GT) Hourigan def. (UO) Sangwan 6-0, 6-7, 10-6
2. (GT) No. 42 McAdoo def. (UO) Rose, 7-5, 6-0
3. (UO) Tobita def. (GT) Renaud, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
4. (GT) Jones def. (UO) Kluiving, 7-5, 2-6, 6-1
5. (GT) No. 82 Otsuka def. (UO) Eshet, 6-1, 6-0
6. (GT) Gizdova def. (UO) Dwi Kahfiani, 6-4, 6-1