March 15, 2006
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Kristi Miller and Lyndsay Shosho won in a tiebreaker to clinch the doubles point before helping No. 8 Georgia Tech (11-2) to a 7-0 win over Furman (7-6) with wins at the top two singles positions.
After the Jackets split at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles, Miller and Shosho went to a tiebreaker at 8-8 before pulling out a 9-8 (4) victory over Marti Morris and Laura Gioia. The Tech duo of Alison Silverio and Kacie Anson earned the Jackets’ first doubles win on the day with an 8-4 win against Lisa Bornt-Davis and Lauren Tomory at the No. 3 slot. Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray also went to a tiebreaker but couldn’t pull out a victory at No. 2 doubles, as Lauren Osborne and Jacqueline Eckert defeated the duo, 9-8 (6).
Shosho gave Tech a 2-0 lead in the match with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Morris at the No. 2 singles slot, and Miller pushed the match score to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Gioia at the top of the singles lineup.
Silverio then clinched the match for the Jackets with a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Osborne at the No. 3 position before Anderson and Striplin gave Tech a 6-0 lead with straight-set victories at the Nos. 5 and 6 spots in the lineup.
McCray completed the sweep with a 10-6 win in a third-set super-tiebreaker against Bonnie Baird after splitting the first two sets, 6-4, 4-6.
The Yellow Jackets will hit the road next week for spring break, playing at Texas A&M Tuesday at 7 p.m. EST and at Baylor the following Thursday for a 3 p.m. EST match. Tech returns to Atlanta immediately following the Baylor match to host Maryland and Boston College on the 25th and 26th of March.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Furman
Mar 15, 2006 at Greenville, S.C.
#8 Georgia Tech 7, Furman 0
1. Kristi Miller (GT) def. Laura Gioia (FU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Marti Morris (FU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Lauren Osborne (FU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Whitney McCray (GT) def. Bonnie Baird (FU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Lauren Tomory (FU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Jacqueline Eckert (FU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Miller/ Shosho (GT) def. Morris/ Gioia (FU) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Osborne/ Eckert (FU) def. Anderson/ McCray (GT) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Silverio/Kacie Anson (GT) def. Lisa Bornt-Davis/ Tomory (FU) 8-4
Georgia Tech 11-2; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,3,5,6,4)