THE FLATS — Following its 24th 30-win season under head coach Danny Hall in 2018, the Georgia Tech baseball program transitioned its focus to the 2019 season with the announcement of the team’s summer baseball assignments.
The Jackets have 27 current student-athletes assigned to six different wooden bat leagues this summer, including 10 in the Cape Cod League, which begins June 12. That group will include first-baseman and right-handed pitcher Tristin English, catcher Kyle McCann and shortstop Austin Wilhite with the Chatham Angels. Right-handed pitcher Xzavion Curry is with the Harwich Mariners, while outfielder Chase Murray and infielder Oscar Serratos are assigned to the Bourne Braves. Lefthander Brant Hurter and infielder Luke Waddell are with the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox, right-handed hurler Andy Archer is assigned to the Cotuit Kettleers and outfielder Colin Hall is with the Hyannis Harbor Hawks.
A trio of Yellow Jackets in right-handed pitcher Jake Brace, lefthander Joseph Mannelly, and utility player Michael Guldberg are playing with the Harrisonburg Turks in the Valley Baseball League, which kicked off on June 1. Additionally, three Jackets are in the Northwoods League in pitchers Hugh Chapman and Will Shirah who are with the Wisconsin Bullfrogs and outfielder Baron Radcliff who is playing with the Kalamazoo Growlers.
In the Sunbelt Baseball League, which began on June 8, outfielder Cole Neuber, pitcher Keyton Gibson and catcher Brenton Sanders are all assigned to the Brookhaven Bucks, outfielders Kel Johnson and Nick Wilhite are playing with the Norcross Astros and pitcher Garrett Gooden is with the Alpharetta Aviators.
Right-handed pitcher Jonathan Hughes is playing with the Florence RedWolves, catcher and third baseman Jamie Taylor is assigned to the Lexington Blowfish and lefthander Sam Crawford is with the Holly Springs Salamanders all of which are in the Coastal Plain League, which started play on May 26.
First baseman and outfielder Paxton Rigby and catcher Cameron Turley are both with the Seminole County Scorpions of the Florida Collegiate Summer League, which opened up its summer slate on June 1.
A pair Tech’s 2018 incoming Jackets are playing summer baseball in the wooden bat leagues this summer, as pitcher Amos Willingham is playing in the Coastal Plain League with the Florence RedWolves and Carter Tally is playing for the Prospect Patriots of the Prospect Division of the Sunbelt Baseball League.
2018 Georgia Tech Summer Baseball League Assignments (subject to changes)
Cape Cod Baseball League
- Andy Archer, Cotuit Kettleers
- Xzavion Curry, Harwich Mariners
- Tristin English, Chatham Anglers
- Colin Hall, Hyannis Harbor Hawks
- Brant Hurter, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox
- Kyle McCann, Chatham Anglers
- Chase Murray, Bourne Braves
- Oscar Serratos, Bourne Braves
- Luke Waddell, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox
- Austin Wilhite, Chatham Anglers
Coastal Plain League
- Sam Crawford, Holly Springs Salamanders
- Jonathan Hughes, Florence RedWolves
- Jamie Taylor, Lexington Blowfish
- Amos Willingham, Florence RedWolves
Florida Collegiate Summer League
- Paxton Rigby, Seminole County Scorpions
- Cameron Turley, Seminole County Scorpions
- Hugh Chapman, Wisconsin Bullfrogs
- Baron Radcliff, Kalamazoo Growlers
- Will Shirah, Wisconsin Bullfrogs
Sunbelt Baseball League
- Kel Johnson, Norcross Astros
- Cole Neuber, Brookhaven Bucks
- Keyton Gibson, Brookhaven Bucks
- Garrett Gooden, Alpharetta Aviators
- Brenton Sanders, Brookhaven Bucks
- Carter Tally, Prospect Patriots (Prospect Division)
- Nick Wilhite, Norcross Astros
Valley Baseball League
- Jake Brace, Harrisonburg Turks
- Michael Guldberg, Harrisonburg Turks
- Joseph Mannelly, Harrisonburg Turks