THE FLATS – Georgia Tech women’s basketball is getting set to pack their bags and stamp their passports as the Yellow Jackets will embark on an 11-day foreign tour to Croatia and Spain. The Yellow Jackets will visit three cities and play three exhibition games during the foreign tour.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for our players and staff to experience new cultures along with playing basketball in Croatia and Spain,” commented head coach Nell Fortner. “This kind of travel bonds teams and grows relationships within that pay dividends down the road. I can’t wait for our players to experience more of the world we live in!!”
The Jackets will experience first-hand European culture, while visiting prominent landmarks and giving back with community service projects. With three Yellow Jackets from Spain, the trip will be a homecoming of sorts for senior Aixa Wone Aranaz (Pamplona, Spain) and sophomore Inés Noguero (Gijón, Spain). Freshman Ariadna Termis Casas also hails from Zaragoza, Spain.
- The Yellow Jackets will depart Atlanta on August 6 and fly to Croatia, where they will spend time in Split and Dubrovnik. Croatia is approximately 5,000 miles and nearly 11 hours of flight time from Atlanta.
- The trip will be in Split, Croatia from August 7-10 before spending Aug. 10-13 in Dubrovnik.
- After adjusting to the six-hour time change (Croatia is six hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time), the Yellow Jackets will visit famous landmarks including Krka National Park, Ston Wall and a Game of Thrones tour. The group will also go off land with a kayaking tour to view Croatia from the water.
- After spending seven days in Croatia, the Jackets will depart and fly to Barcelona, Spain – a trip of nearly 700 miles and a two-hour flight. The group will close out the trip in Barcelona from Aug. 13-16.
- While in Barcelona, the Yellow Jackets will visit the famous Sagrada Familia and take part in a catamaran cruise, bike tour and Flamenco show.
- The group will also partake in community service while in Barcelona to give back to the native land of three Yellow Jackets.
- Georgia Tech will play three exhibition games while abroad: two in Croatia and one in Barcelona.