WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Georgia Tech came alive in the third quarter and dominated the second half to capture a 60-46 victory at Wake Forest Sunday afternoon. Elizabeth Dixon and Francesca Pan combined for 37 points in the win that pushed Tech to 15-9 overall and 5-6 in league play.
“I am very proud of this team,” commented head coach MaChelle Joseph. “We are focused on getting better. For a young team, they have shown a lot of grit. Francesca Pan stepped up huge for her team today!”
How It Happened
Both teams got off to a slow start in the opening quarter with Tech shooting just 25.0 percent (4-16) from the field to trail 12-8 at the quarter break. Elizabeth Dixon opened the second stanza with a 6-0 run to erase Tech’s deficit and hand the Jackets their first lead of the game, 14-12, with 6:59 to play. Elizabeth Balogun hit the game’s first three-pointer at 6:24 and Tech outscored the Demon Deacons, 17-6, in the frame to lead 25-18 at halftime.
Wake Forest opened the third quarter with an 11-0 run, holding the Jackets to a 0-8 shooting effort from the field through the media break at 4:41 to lead 29-25. The Jackets answered with a 15-2 run over the next 3:14 fueled by three three-pointers from Francesca Pan to gain a 40-31 edge, forcing WFU to call a timeout with 1:21 left in the third. Tech continued to dominate in the fourth quarter and gained its largest lead of the game of 25 points on two free throws from Lotta-Maj Lahtinen. WFU closed the game with a 11-0 spurt for the final 60-46 tally.
* The teams were a combined 9-28 from the field in the first quarter before Tech was 8-for-15 (53.3 percent) in the second quarter
* Dixon led Tech’s offense in the second frame with eight points
* After opening the third quarter 0-for-8 from the field through the media break, the Jackets went 5-for-7 with three three-pointers for a 15-2 run to regain the lead
* Dixon finished with a game-high 22 points to tie her career-high
* Pan added 15 points as Tech finished with a 34.4 percent (22-64) effort from the field
* Kierra Fletcher finished with eight points, six rebounds, five assists and two steals
* The Jackets forced 30 Wake Forest turnovers they converted into 27 points
* Wake Forest narrowly won the rebounding battle, 33-31, led by Kaylen Dickson’s 11 rebounds
* Tech finished 12-for-13 from the charity stripe in the win
Georgia Tech returns to the hardwood on Sunday, Feb. 17 welcoming Virginia Tech for the Yellow Jackets’ annual Play4Kay Pink Game. Tip is slated for 1 p.m. on RSN in McCamish Pavilion.