Jan. 13, 2016
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team opened the 2016 season in a high note, defeating East Tennessee State by a score of 4-3. The Jackets will take on Presbyterian at 7:30 p.m.
Tech narrowly took the doubles point when Chris Eubanks and Nathan Rakitt defeated Rogerio Ribeiro and David Biosca, 7-5, after the two schools split the first two matches. Michael and Casey Kay handled Ismael Merino and Diego Nunez by a score of 6-2, while Carlos Benito and Andrew Li fell to Sebastian Yllera and Robert Herrera, 6-4.
Li gained the first singles point of the day in decisive fashion, dispatching Merino by a score of 6-0, 6-2. Cole Fiegel then fell to Yllera on Court 5, falling 6-4, 6-1. Rebeiro then defeated Tech’s Michael Kay by a score of 6-4, 6-1 to tie the match, 2-2.
Shortly thereafter, Carlos Benito defeated Diego Nunez, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, after dropping the first set. The Jackets then clinched the match when #6 Christopher Eubanks beat David Biosca, 7-6 (10-8), 6-4. The action closed when Nathan Rakitt fell to Robert Herrera (5-7, 7-5, 1-0) after Georgia Tech had already earned the victory.
“ETSU is a good team, and we knew they were going to be a good team”, said head coach Kenny Thorne. “They showed that today. They were ready to play. We’re coming in and trying to figure out who’s ready and who’s not. You schedule someone like that for the first match of the season and they can get close. And it did, but I think it’s good for us. I think it’s really good for us. It’s one of those things where you say, “Wake up, let’s go!”. We scheduled a tough schedule, so guys have to step up and meet the challenge each match.”
1. #6 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. David Biosca (ETSU) 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
2. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
3. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Michael Kay (GT) 7-5, 6-0
4. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Cole Fiegel (GT) 6-4, 6-1
6. Andrew Li (GT) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. #36 Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-2
2. Christopher Eubanks/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) 7-5
3. Sebastian Yllera/Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Carlos Benito/Andrew Li (GT) 6-4
East Tennessee State 0-1
Georgia Tech 1-0; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,3,2,1,4)
ABOUT GEORGIA TECH MEN’S TENNIS
Georgia Tech’s men’s tennis team is in its 18th year under head coach Kenny Thorne. The Yellow Jackets have played in the NCAA Championship 15 times. Connect with Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis on social media by liking their Facebook page, or following on Twitter (@GT_MTEN). For more information on Tech men’s tennis, visit Ramblinwreck.com.