April 3, 2016
THE FLATS – The No. 31 Georgia Tech men’s tennis team won its second match of the weekend Sunday afternoon, defeating conference foe Boston College by a score of 6-1. The Jackets improved to 14-5 and 7-2 in ACC play.
“To get the doubles point again was key for us,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “In singles, I love that we had a team effort going. Elijah Melendez clinched the match for us, and Chris Eubanks got through his match fairly quickly to keep the momentum going. All the way up and down the line, I was happy. We now fortunately get to stay home another weekend, and the table is set for two very good teams coming into our facility. We couldn’t be more excited to play.”
Despite the fact that the No. 54 doubles pairing of Michael and Casey Kay fell to Boston College’s Kyle Childree and Hank Workman in a tiebreaker, the Jackets were able to win on the other two courts. Nathan Rakitt and Daniel Yun defeated Kent Mukai and Jeff Melvin, 6-0, and the Chris Eubanks/Cole Fiegel pairing defeated Boston College’s Alexandre Thirouin/Aidan McNulty, 6-4.
The Jackets won the first five singles matches, beginning with a quick victory for No. 11 Chris Eubanks over BC’s Aiden McNulty, 6-2, 6-1. Boston College’s only victory of the day came on Court 3, as Hank Workman defeated Daniel Yun, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.
The Jackets will be back in action next weekend as they host No. 3 Virginia on Friday, April 8, and No. 45 Virginia Tech on Sunday, April 10.
Tennis Match Results
Boston College vs Georgia Tech
Apr 03, 2016 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#31 Georgia Tech 6, Boston College 1
1. #11 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Aidan McNulty (BC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Jeff Melvin (BC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Hank Workman (BC) def. Daniel Yun (GT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Alexandre Thirouin (BC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Kay (GT) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 7-5, 6-3
6. Elijah Melendez (GT) def. Kent Mukai (BC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Kyle Childree/Hank Workman (BC) def. #54 Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Christopher Eubanks/Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Alexandre Thirouin/Aidan McNulty (BC) 6-4
3. Nathan Rakitt/Daniel Yun (GT) def. Kent Mukai/Jeff Melvin (BC) 6-0
Boston College 3-14 (0-9)
Georgia Tech 14-5 (7-2); National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,6,2,5,3)