CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The No. 2 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team notched its fourth-straight victory Sunday morning, defeating Boston College, 6-1. The win pushed the Jackets to 18-4 overall this season and 10-2 against ACC opponents.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Jackets grabbed wins from the top two seeds to pick up the early doubles point. Tech wrapped up in order of play with Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones finishing first from the top seed, ousting Kylie Wilcox/Dasha Posskohova, 6-0. Ida Jarlskog and Victoria Flores clinched the doubles point from the two seed, grabbing a 6-2 victory over Jackie Ubinati/Elene Tsokilauri. Tech’s Johnnise Renaud and Nami Otsuka led Asiya Dair/Natasha Irani, 5-3, but did not finish their match before the point was clinched.
SINGLES ACTION: Carrying a 1-0 lead into singles play, Tech quickly clinched the match, notching three straight-set singles wins for a 4-0 tally. Jarlskog wrapped up first from the four seed, as the freshman downed Urbinati, 6-2, 6-1. Jones put the Jackets within one point of victory, collecting a 7-5, 6-3 triumph at No. 2 over Wilcox before Hourigan clinched the match from No. 1. The Jacket faced Dair and pocketed a 6-2, 6-4 victory to setup a 4-0 score.
Renaud pushed Tech’s lead out to 5-0, claiming her match in a tiebreak. After splitting sets, the senior notched her win 10-8 in a match tiebreak. Tech’s Flores made the score 6-0, pocketing a 6-0, 6-1 rout over Tsokilauri from the six seed, before Otsuka wrapped up singles play from the five seed. The Eagles recorded their only win of the day from No. 5, as Maria Ross defeated Otsuka, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8).
QUOTABLE: “We played well today in singles and doubles. Hopefully we can continue to play at this level for the rest of the season.” – head coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: With two regular season matches left of the season, Tech concludes road play on Friday, April 20 at Virginia Tech. First serve is slated for 3 p.m.
No. 2 GEORGIA TECH at BOSTON COLLEGE RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 6, Boston College 1
1. No. 1 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Kylie Wilcox/Dasha Possokhova (BC) 6-0
2. No. 61 Ida Jarlskog/Victoria Flores (GT) def. Jackie Urbinati/Elene Tsokilauri (BC) 6-2
3. Johnnise Renaud/Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Asiya Dair/Natasha Irani (BC) 5-3, DNF
Order of finish: 1,2
1. No. 12 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. No. 95 Asiya Dair (BC) 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 74 Kenya Jones (GT) def. Kylie Wilcox (BC) 7-5, 6-3
3. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Natasha Irani (BC) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Jackie Urbinati (BC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Maria Ross (BC) def. Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Victoria Flores (GT) def. Elene Tsokilauri (BC) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5
Records: Georgia Tech (18-4, 10-2 ACC); Boston College (12-10, 4-9 ACC)