TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The 12th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team rolled to a victory over No. 19 Florida State to open ACC play Sunday afternoon. Tech claimed the tight doubles point and picked up the first three singles wins to clinch the match before the Seminoles got on the scoreboard.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Jackets (7-1, 1-0 ACC) picked up doubles wins on courts one and three to clinch the doubles point. First off the courts, Tech’s 4th-ranked tandem of Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones erased a 0-2 deficit to Carla Touly/Ariana Rahmanparast to take a 5-3 lead. FSU pulled it to 5-4, but the Jackets sealed the match, 6-4. The point was clinched from the No. 3 spot where Johnnise Renaud/Ida Jarlskog also battled back from a 0-2 deficit to win six of the next eight points for a 6-4 triumph, handing the Jackets the 1-0 lead entering singles play. Victoria Flores/Nami Otsuka led 6-5 on court two over No. 48 Petra Hule/Andrea Garcia before play was suspended.
SINGLES ACTION: Pocketing the first three singles matches off the courts, Tech clinched the match 4-0. Jones wrapped up play first at the four seed, dominating Rahmanparast in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. Renaud put Tech up 3-0 after drawing a 6-2, 6-3 win over Hule at No. 2 before freshman Jarlskog sealed the match win for Tech with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Gabriella Castaneda at No. 3.
With Tech already having clinched the match, Florida State got on the board winning the final three matches on the courts.
QUOTABLE: “It was a tough match in a tough environment against a very good Florida State team. Due to rain, we played indoors and they had a loud and boisterous crowd. Fortunately, we won a hotly contested doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Kenya [Jones], Johnnise [Renaud] and Ida [Jarlskog] all won their matches in straight sets to clinch the win. We will rest up and get ready to be back home next weekend against Virginia and Louisville.”– Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to Atlanta to play host to Virginia on Friday, March 2 and Louisville on March 4. First serve on Friday is slated for 2:30 p.m.
No. 12 GEORGIA TECH VS. No. 19 FLORIDA STATE RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 4, Florida State 3
1. No. 4 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Carla Touly/Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) 6-4
2. Victoria Flores/Nami Otsuka (GT) vs. No. 48 Petra Hule/Andrea Garcia (FSU) 6-5, DNF
3. Johnnise Renaud/Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Gabriella Castaneda/Nandini Das (FSU) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Carla Touly (FSU) def. No. 25 Paige Hourigan (GT) 6-2, 5-7, 10-5
2. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Petra Hule (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 83 Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Gabriella Castaneda (FSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Julia Mikulski (FSU) def. Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Andrea Garcia (FSU) def. Victoria Flores (GT) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,2,3,6,1,5