April 1, 2017
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Georgia Tech women’s tennis snapped a 50-match North Carolina win streak at home and upset the Tar Heels 4-3 on Saturday morning at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. Handing UNC their first ACC loss in 36 regular season matches, Tech improved to 18-2 overall and 8-0 in the ACC, claiming sole possession of first in the league. UNC fell to 20-2 on the season and 7-1 in the ACC.
DOUBLES ACTION: Georgia Tech grabbed a 2-1 match lead on courts two and three to open doubles play. On court two, Hourigan/Jones broke serve to go up 3-1 and cruised to a 6-2 victory over Cassandra Vazquez/Chloe Ouellet-Pizer to even doubles play after UNC grabbed a 6-2 decision on court one, leaving the doubles point to be decided on court three. After Nami Otsuka and Luca Fabian took a 3-1 lead over Sara Daavettila/Rachel James-Baker on court three, the Tar Heels battled back, moving the match to 3-3. Tied at 4-4, the Jacket duo battled for the next two points and clinched the doubles point for Tech with a 6-4 triumph.
SINGLES PLAY: The Jackets took the first singles set on courts four, five and six to open singles play. Otsuka wrapped up singles play first, sealing a 6-1, 6-2 victory over No. 77 Ouellet-Pizer on court five to give Tech a 2-0 match lead. UNC quickly fought back, taking the top two singles courts for a 2-2 score, before Jones topped No. 40 Makenna Jones, 6-3, 6-4, on court four to put Tech back in front 3-2.
With a UNC win on court three pushing the score to 3-3, the match was left to be decided on court six where Luca Fabian was battling Cassandra Vazquez in the third set. After taking the first set 6-2, Vazquez forced a deciding third set with a 6-2 set two win. Vazquez took a 2-1 lead in the third set, but Fabian won the next two games to go up 3-2. Fabian won the next two points and served out the match for a 6-2 third set to clinch the match for Georgia Tech.
The win marked the first over UNC since 2010, snapping an eight-match win streak the Tar Heels held over the Jackets. The win also marked the first win at UNC since 2009.
QUOTABLE: “It was a great team victory today! Our freshmen came up huge in singles and doubles. We have to prepare for a tough match tomorrow against Wake Forest.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech wraps up this four-match road swing at Wake Forest tomorrow morning. First serve at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex is slated for 10 a.m.
No. 10 Georgia Tech at No. 4 North Carolina Results
Match Score: No. 10 Georgia Tech 4, No. 4 North Carolina 3
1. No. 1 Hayley Carter/Jessie Aney (UNC) def. No. 19 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-2
2. Kenya Jones/Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Cassandra Vazquez/Chloe Ouellet-Pizer (UNC) 6-2
3. Nami Otuska/Luca Fabian (GT) def. Sara Daavettila/Rachel James-Baker (UNC) 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3
Point: Georgia Tech
1. No. 2 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. No. 46 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 9 Sara Daavettila (UNC) def. No. 104 Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 23 Jessie Aney (UNC) def. No. 113 Paige Hourigan (GT) 7-6, 6-3
4. Kenya Jones (GT) def. No. 40 Makenna Jones (UNC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. No. 77 Chloe Ouellet-Pizer (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Luca Fabian (GT) def. Cassandra Vazquez (UNC) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,2,1,4,3,6