April 22, 2016
CARY, N.C. – The Georgia Tech women’s tennis squad opened the 2016 postseason with an impressive showing, defeating Notre Dame by a score of 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament. The Jackets will play at 10 a.m. on Saturday against the Miami Hurricanes, who are the No. 2 seed in the tournament.
“It was a very tough match,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “Notre Dame is a very tough team. They’ve won two matches in a row here, so I knew they had a lot of momentum. But I feel like we came out and played well in doubles play, then we were able to get some points in singles on the board early. Kendal (Woodard) played really well, Natasha (Prokhnevska) played well, and Rasheeda (McAdoo) was able to close the match out today. In the other matches, we were pretty much even or slightly ahead, so I think we played well up and down the line. We’re just looking forward to our next match.”
The Jackets opened up the match by taking the doubles point, as the 10th-ranked pairing of Kendal Woodard and Paige Hourigan clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Mary Closs and Julie Vrabel of Notre Dame.
In singles, Woodard made it 2-0 in favor of the Jackets with a 7-6 (7-1), 6-1 win over Closs, Prokhnevska quickly added to the lead by defeating Jane Fennelly by a score of 6-1, 6-3. McAdoo then closed things out with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Allison Miller.
Tennis Match Results
Notre Dame vs Georgia Tech
Apr 22, 2016 at Cary, NC (Cary Tennis Park)
#15 Georgia Tech 4, #47 Notre Dame 0
1. #41 Johnnise Renaud (GT) vs. #48 Quinn Gleason (ND) 1-6, 6-6, unfinished
2. #42 Paige Hourigan (GT) vs. #83 Monica Robinson (ND) 7-6 (7-4), 2-2, unfinished
3. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. #107 Allison Miller (ND) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Mary Closs (ND) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
5. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) vs. Brooke Broda (ND) 6-2, 2-6, 2-2, unfinished
6. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Jane Fennelly (ND) 6-1, 6-3
1. #10 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) def. #38 Quinn Gleason/Monica Robinson (ND) 6-4
2. Johnnise Renaud/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Mary Closs/Julie Vrabel (ND) 6-4
3. Alexis Prokopuik/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Brooke Broda/Allison Miller (ND) 4-5, unfinished
Notre Dame 14-12; National ranking #47
Georgia Tech 17-7; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,6,3)