ATLANTA (April 9) — The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team dropped their second match of the weekend, losing 4-3 to Wake Forest on Sunday (4/9) in Winston-Salem. The loss dropped the No. 54 Jackets record to 10-10 (4-3 ACC).
The two teams split the singles sets at three a piece. Georgia Tech’s Sergio Aguirre grabbed a win in the No. 1 singles spot over Johan Hansen 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3. Robert Anderson was also victorious in the No. 2 spot beating Michael Murray of Wake Forest 6-3, 6-1. The other Jacket win came when Romain Coirault defeated Brett Mauro 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 in the No. 5 spot.
The doubles point, which was won by Wake Forest, proved to be the deciding point in the match. David Wright and Roger Anderson of Georgia Tech won the only doubles match for the Jackets beating Johan Hansen and Michael Berger 9-8 in the No. 2 spot.
The Jackets will return home at 1 p.m. on Saturday April 15 to face Miami (Florida) at the Bill Moore Tennis Center on the Georgia Tech Campus.
No. 54 Georgia Tech 3, Wake Forest 4
April 9, 2000
1. Murray/Munoz (WFU) d. Tim Bibby/Coirault (GT) 8-3
2. D. Wright/Anderson (GT) d. Hansen/Berger (WFU) 9-8
3. Kaufmann/Brendon (WFU) d. Aguirre/Jeong (GT) 8-4
1. Sergio Aguirre (GT) d. Johan Hansen (WFU) 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3
2. Roger Anderson (GT) d. Michael Murray (WFU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Raul Munoz (WFU) d. David Wright (GT) 6-1, 7-5
4. Michael Berger (WFU) d. Jason Jeong (GT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Romain Coirault (GT) d. Brett Mauro (WFU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
6. Justin Kaufmann (WFU) d. Fabio Campos (GT) 6-3, 6-2