Georgia Tech Football (0-0, 0-0 ACC) vs. Alcorn State (0-0, 0-0 SWAC)
Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 • 12:30 p.m. • Atlanta, Ga. • Bobby Dodd Stadium (55,000)
• The 126th season of Georgia Tech football kicks off on Saturday when the Yellow Jackets host Alcorn State for the 2018 season opener at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
• Georgia Tech is coming off a disappointing and frustrating 5-6 season in 2017. The Yellow Jackets were literally three plays away from an 8-3 campaign and two plays away from a fifth ACC Championship Game appearance, as they saw three opponents (Tennessee, Miami and Virginia) score the go-ahead points in the final 82 seconds of regulation or overtime last season. The Jackets also held leads of at least 13 points in four of their six defeats (Tennessee, Miami, Virginia and Duke).
• If history is any indication, last year’s 5-6 season will lead to a bounce-back campaign for Georgia Tech in 2018. Following each of the previous three sub-.500 seasons of Paul Johnson’s head-coaching career, his teams have rebounded to win at least eight games the following year.
• Georgia Tech returns 15 starters from last year’s squad — eight on offense, five on defense and two specialists.
• On offense, the Yellow Jackets bring back 100 percent of their passing yardage from a year ago, 90.4 percent of their rushing yardage and a total of six offensive linemen that have combined to make 75 career starts.
• Headlining the Yellow Jackets’ returners are senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall and junior B-back KirVonte Benson. Last season, Marshall and Benson became only the second duo in Tech history to both rush for 1,000 yards in the same season (Marshall — 1,146 rushing yards, Benson — 1,053 rushing yards).