Oct. 21, 2016
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Winners of six-straight matches, the Georgia Tech volleyball team (16-5, 7-2 ACC) defeated Wake Forest (8-12, 4-5) in five sets on Friday night. Teegan Van Gunst tallied a career-high 30 kills making her the 14th Yellow Jacket all-time to record 30 kills in a match.
How It Happened
Tied 9-9 in set one, the Demon Deacons found a rhythm to go on a 5-1 run to take a 14-10 lead. Wake Forest used that momentum to go up 22-16 and eventually capture the game 25-17.
In set two, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest battled for the lead late in the game. The Jackets took the lead at 24-23 and were able to put the set away on a kill by Teegan Van Gunst. Through two sets, Teegan Van Gunst had 13 kills and was hitting .684 to lead all players.
Down 20-15 in game three, the Jackets went on a 5-0 run behind the aggressive serving of Rebecca Martin to tie it up 20-20. Wake Forest pulled ahead with set point 24-23, but Georgia Tech didn’t back down, tying the set at 24-24 and at 25-25. The Demon Deacons held on and managed to escape the set 27-25.
Set four was all Georgia Tech as the Jackets wasted little time to take a 12-4 lead. Wake Forest tried to make a late rally with a 4-0 run, but the Jackets closed the door 25-19.
Tied 3-3, a solo block by Lauren Pitz and a handful of Wake Forest errors fueled the Yellow Jackets to a 8-4 lead at the switch in game five. The Jackets kept their foot on the gas pedal to win 15-8.
“I think that we stayed very composed on what we needed to do,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “We knew coming in it was going to be a tough team to play. We started off slow, but I think that Teegan Van Gunst’s leadership really showed up today and she carried a heavy load as she always does. I think the whole team kept fighting and we found a way to win.”
– Teegan Van Gunst added 13 digs for her 12th double-double and her 14th-straight match with double-figure kills.
– London Ackermann put up 22 digs for the 19th time this season with double-figure digs and it marks her eighth match with at least 20 digs.
– Annika Van Gunst added eight kills and 13 digs.
– Rebecca Martin had a career high six kills (.714 hitting) and three service aces.
– Kodie Comby added six kills (.417) and Gabriela Stavnetchei put down seven kills.
– It marked the fourth match in a row against the Deacons that went to five sets.
The Yellow Jackets battle Duke in Durham, N.C. on Sunday at 1 p.m. on the ACC Network Extra.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech volleyball team, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.