Sept. 25, 2015
CLEMSON, S.C. – In both teams’ ACC opener, the Georgia Tech volleyball team (10-3, 1-0 ACC) swept the Clemson Tigers (5-8, 0-1 ACC) on Friday night in Jervey Gym. It marks the first win for the Yellow Jackets at Clemson since a 3-2 win on Nov. 27, 2009.
How it Happened
Georgia Tech jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the opening frame and maintained control throughout the game winning, 25-17. Clemson took its first lead of the match at 6-5 in game two. The Jackets worked back from a 14-10 deficit to tie it 16-16, and take a 17-16 lead on a kill by Gabriela Stavnetchei. Georgia Tech stayed consistent for the remainder of the set and won game two, 25-20.
A back and forth battle, the third set had 17 ties and seven lead changes. With the lead 20-17, the Jackets went on a 5-2 run to win set, 25-19, and put the match away.
“I think that we executed everything that we worked on this week,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “We were able to keep the pressure on them. It’s always a hard place to play here, so it was nice to have this performance on the road. I think it was a good team win. Defensively, I feel we played really well. We have to be ready now for Boston College.
“We can’t wait to go back to O’Keefe and see the gym packed on Sunday. Tickets are one dollar, so I hope to see everyone there. It’s going to be a fun environment.”
– Clemson hit -.042 in the first set and just .094 for the match, while the Jackets swung at a .272 clip.
– Georgia Tech had 47 kills to Clemson’s 30, and had 51 digs to Clemson’s 40.
– Teegan Van Gunst led all players with 18 kills, and had her seventh double-double of the season with 13 digs. She tallied a career-high hitting percentage at .567 with 18 kills on 30 swings and one error.
– Annika Van Gunst was one kill away from a double-double (9) to go along with 10 digs. Sydney Wilson added nine kills and five blocks.
– London Ackermann led all players with 14 digs, and is now 15 digs away from 1,000 in her career.
Georgia Tech returns to Atlanta to host Boston College on Sunday at 1 p.m. on ESPN3, and all tickets are $1 for Pack The Gym.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.