ATLANTA (April 8) – Georgia Tech freshmen Jaime Wong and Mysti Morris each won singles matches and then combined for the clinching doubles victory as the 33rd-ranked Yellow Jackets knocked off No. 19 Florida State, 5-4, in an Atlantic Coast Conference match in Tallahassee, Fla.
Laura Ozolins and Charlotte Pernet also won singles matches for Tech, which won its third straight conference match to improve its record to 13-5 overall and 4-3 in the ACC. Florida State fell to 15-5, 4-2 in the ACC.
Wong defeated Jessica Balbuena at No. 4 singles in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, while Morris needed three sets to down Nanette Duxin, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, at No. 2 singles. The two freshmen then defeated Kia Asberg and Marina Raic at No. 2 doubles, 8-1, to clinch the victory.
Tech concludes the regular season next Saturday with a home match against Clemson at 10 a.m. at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
GEORGIA TECH 5, FLORIDA STATE 4
1. Alida Gallovits (FSU) d. Sabrina Pardo (GT), 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
2. Mystie Morris (GT) d. Nanette Duxin (FSU), 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. Kia Asberg (FSU) d. Bobbi Guthrie (GT), 6-4, 6-3
4. Jaime Wong (GT) d. Jessica Balbuena (FSU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Laura Ozolins (GT) d. Ali Weber (FSU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Charlotte Pernet (GT) d. Marina Raic (FSU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Gallovits/Duxin (FS) d. Pardo/Guthrie (GT), 9-8
2. Wong/Morris (GT) d. Asberg/Raic (FS), 8-1
3. Weber/Balbuena (FS) d. Pernet/Ozolins (GT), 8-3