April 24, 2010
Cary, N.C. – Freshman Juan Spir defeated 68th-ranked Lee Singer at No. 6 singles, but top-ranked Virginia won its 60th consecutive match against conference opposition Saturday and eliminated 24th-ranked Georgia Tech, 4-1, in the semifinals of the Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championship at the Cary Tennis Park.
Tech fell to 17-7 for the season, while Virginia improved to 34-1 in advancing to Sunday’s championship final.
“Virginia played very well in doubles today and you have to give them credit for that,” said head coach Kenny Thorne. “We had some spots in singles where we could have won, but we had little margin for error. We came out and played hard and matched their intensity, but Virginia is the No. 1 team in the country for a reason.”
Spir, a freshman from Medellin, Colombia, won his third straight match, improving to 11-8 in dual match singles this year, and avenged a loss to Singer in their regular-season meeting a week ago by taking a 6-3, 6-4 straight-set win.
“I’m proud of Juan for coming back to beat Singer in straight sets,” added Thorne. “Our freshmen had a good ACC Tournament, so I’m proud of them for the way they played. They served notice that they’re going to be around for a while.”
But the Cavaliers swept the doubles point to start things off and extended their lead to 3-0 after 51st-ranked Drew Courtney defeated Miguel Muguruza, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4 singles, and 15th-ranked Sanam Singh downed No. 78 Kevin King, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2.
After Spir notched Tech’s only point with his win at No. 6, 55th-ranked Jarmere Jenkins clinched the match by defeating No. 101 Eliot Potvin, 7-6, 7-5, at No. 3.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Virginia
Apr 24, 2010 at Cary, N.C.
#1 Virginia 4, #24 Georgia Tech 1
1. #9 Michael Shabaz (UVA) vs. #3 Guillermo Gomez (GT) unfinished
2. #15 Sanam Singh (UVA) def. #78 Kevin King (GT) 6-2, 6-3
3. #55 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) def. #101 Eliot Potvin (GT) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. #51 Drew Courtney (UVA) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Houston Barrick (UVA) vs. Magin Ortiga (GT) unfinished
6. Juan Spir (GT) def. #68 Lee Singer (UVA) 6-3, 6-4
1. #11 Drew Courtney/Michael Shabaz (UVA) def. Juan Spir/Kevin King (GT) 8-5
2. #32 Houston Barrick/Sanam Singh (UVA) vs. #46 Eliot Potvin/Ryan Smith (GT) unfinished
3. Lee Singer/Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) def. Guillermo Gomez/Dean O’Brien (GT) 8-5
Georgia Tech 17-7, 7-4 ACC; National ranking #24
Virginia 34-1, 11-0 ACC; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,2,6,3)