SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Claiming the doubles point and three singles wins, Georgia Tech held on for a 4-3 victory Sunday at Syracuse. The win pushed Tech to a 17-2 overall record and 7-0 mark in the ACC.
DOUBLES ACTION: Georgia Tech earned a hard-fought doubles point with the early lead coming down to the final court. Syracuse claimed the first match, winning 6-4 on court two before the Jackets claimed court three to even the playing field. Rasheeda McAdoo paired with Luca Fabian to defeat Maria Tritou and Nicole Mitchell, 6-4, leaving the doubles point to be decided at court one. The Tech duo of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones claimed their third win from the top spot, edging out Gabriela Knutson/Miranda Ramirez, 7-6 (7-4), to clinch the point for Tech.
SINGLES PLAY: The Jackets went up 2-0 when Nami Otsuka took home a straight set victory from court five, but Syracuse quickly erased its deficit capturing wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Tech moved back in front 3-2 when Jones defeated Maria Tritou, 6-4, 7-5, on court four and the Jackets clinched the win at court two with Johnnise Renaud winning a three-set battle over Anna Shkudun. Syracuse closed out the match winning on court six for the final score.
QUOTABLE: “It was a tough match today. Syracuse played extremely well and the match was in question until Johnnise [Renaud] and Kenya [Jones] won in singles to give us a 4-2 lead. Conference matches are tough and the ACC has a number of really good teams.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: The Jackets continue this road stretch visiting No. 4 North Carolina on April 1. First serve is set for 11 a.m. in Chapel Hill.
No. 6 Georgia Tech at Syracuse Results
Match Score: No. 6 Georgia Tech 4, Syracuse 3
1. Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Gabriela Knutson/Miranda Ramirez (SU) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Anna Shkudun/Dina Hegab (SU) def. Johnnise Renaud/Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-4
3. Rasheeda McAdoo/Luca Fabian (GT) def. Maria Tritou/Nicole Mitchell (SU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Point: Georgia Tech
1. Miranda Ramirez (SU) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-4, 6-4
2. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Anna Shkudun (SU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
3. Gabriela Knutson (SU) def. Paige Hourigan (GT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Maria Tritou (SU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Libi Mesh (SU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Dina Hegab (SU) def. Nadia Gizdova (GT) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 5,1,3,4,2,6