BLACKSBURG, Va. – Playing its last road match of the regular season, the No. 3 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team collected a 4-1 win over Virginia Tech Friday afternoon. The win moved the Jackets to 19-4 overall on the season and 11-2 against ACC opponents.
DOUBLES ACTION: After Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech split the first two doubles matches, the early lead all came down to court two. The Hokies grabbed the doubles match on court three as Sarah Baron and Katherine Butler picked up a 6-3 win over Johnnise Renaud and Nami Otsuka, but the Jackets’ No. 2-ranked doubles team of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones quickly evened play. The tandem cruised to a 6-2 triumph over Caroline Daxhelet/Natalie Novotna from the top seed to leave the point to be decided on court two where No. 69 Ida Jarlskog and Victoria Flores stood tied 3-3 with Nika Kozar/Nina Sorkin. The Jackets snagged the next three points to clinch the match and the doubles point with a 6-3 win.
SINGLES ACTION: No. 12 Hourigan put the Jackets up 2-0 in singles play, quickly pocketing a 6-4, 6-0 win over No. 63 Novotna from the top seed. The Hokies got on the scoreboard winning from the two seed as Daxhelet claimed a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Jones for a 2-1 match score. But Jarlskog answered back, pushing the Jackets in the lead 3-1, recording a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Sorkin from the No. 4 position, leaving Georgia Tech needing just one more singles match to secure the win.
Within minutes of Jarlskog wrapping up at the four seed, Renaud finalized the win for Georgia Tech. Competing at the three seed, the senior took the first set over Kozar, 7-5, and sealed the match with a 6-4 second set win, leading the Jackets to a 4-1 win.
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech concludes regular season play on Sunday, April 22 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex hosting Clemson at 2 p.m. The Jackets will recognize their two seniors, Hourigan and Renaud, prior to first serve.
No. 3 GEORGIA TECH at VIRGINIA TECH RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 4, Virginia Tech 1
1. No. 2 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Caroline Daxhelet/Natalie Novotna (VT) 6-2
2. No. 69 Ida Jarlskog/Victoria Flores (GT) def. Nika Kozar/Nina Sorkin (VT) 6-3
3. Sarah Baron/Katherine Butler (VT) def. Johnnise Renaud/Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. No. 12 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. No. 63 Natalie Novotna (VT) 6-4, 6-0
2. Caroline Daxhelet (VT) def. No. 73 Kenya Jones (GT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Nika Kozar (VT) 7-5, 6-4
4. Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Nina Sorkin (VT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) vs. Katherine Butler (VT) 6-4, 4-6, DNF
6. Victoria Flores (GT) vs. Shene Disbergen (VT) 6-4, 2-6, 0-1 DNF
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 3
Records: Georgia Tech (19-4, 11-2 ACC); Virginia Tech (12-10, 3-10 ACC)