Feb. 11, 2012
Charlottesville, Va. – The 13th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (4-2) dropped a hard-fought 4-2 decision to the fourth-ranked UCLA Bruins (6-0) in each team’s opening match of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Boar’s Head Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The Yellow Jackets landed the first blow by taking the doubles point for the sixth time in six dual matches this season.
Tech’s top team of senior Jillian O’Neill and sophomore Alex Anghelescu improved to 8-0 with an impressive 8-3 win over the Bruin’s 23rd-ranked team of Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez on court one.
Junior Elizabeth Kilborn continued her impressive start to the season and improved to 7-2 in singles play with a 6-4, 6-4 win over UCLA’s 62nd-ranked McCall Jones on court two to put the Jackets up 2-0. The Bruins earned their first point when eighth-ranked Robin Anderson rallied to a first set win en route to a 6-4, 6-4 win over O’Neill, ranked No. 45, on court one.
Second-seeded UCLA tied the match at 2-2 when Chanelle Van Nguyen battled past Anghelescu 6-4, 6-4 on court six. The Bruins took their first lead of the day in the team score, 3-2, when Kaitlin Ray defeated Tech senior Lynn Blau, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, on court five.
UCLA clinched the team victory when 70th-ranked Pamela Montez defeated Ngo, ranked No. 106, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, on court three.
Georgia Tech will now face seventh-seeded and ninth-ranked Virginia (5-1) at 6:30 p.m. on the consolation side of the team indoor bracket. The Cavaliers were beat 4-2 by 12th-ranked Northwestern Friday night.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women’s tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#13 Georgia Tech vs. #4 UCLA
Feb. 10, 2012, in Charlottesville, Va.
#4 UCLA 4, #13 Georgia Tech 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. Jillian O’Neill / Alex Anghelescu (GT) def. #23 Courtney Dolehide / Pamela Montez (UCLA), 8-3
2. #12 Robin Anderson / Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 8-5
3. Muriel Wacker / Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Carling Seguso / McCall Jones (UCLA), 8-6
Singles (Order of Finish: 2, 1, 6, 5, 3)
1. #8 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #45 Jillian O’Neill (GT), 6-4, 6-4
2. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. #62 McCall Jones (UCLA), 6-4, 6-4
3. #70 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #106 Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Skylar Morton (UCLA), 6-2, 2-6, 5-6
5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Lynn Blau (GT), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT), 6-4, 6-4
Georgia Tech 4-2, national ranking #13
UCLA 6-0, national ranking #4
— RamblinWreck.com —