Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (18-14) vs. UCF Knights (21-11)
Parking: Please click here for Sunday parking info
Georgia Tech Game Notes | UCF Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS — Round two of the 2017 WNIT gets underway Sunday for the Georgia Tech women’s basketball team as the Jackets host UCF at 5 p.m. in McCamish Pavilion.
Sunday has turned into one of the most exciting and jam-packed days on The Flats for the Yellow Jackets. Fans that attend the men’s basketball NIT game versus Belmont (noon tip) and/or baseball game (1 p.m. vs. UNC) can exchange their ticket at the McCamish Pavilion main box office for free admission to the WNIT game at 5 p.m.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech advanced to Round Two of the WNIT to host UCF at 5 p.m. Sunday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Knights meet for the just the third time in program history and first time in postseason play on Sunday. Tech leads the all-time series 2-0 and took the only meeting in Atlanta in 2003.
3. This it Tech’s seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two.
4. Francesca Pan capped her freshman season earning ACC Freshman of the Year by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and the ACC head coaches. Additionally, Pan was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and All-Academic Team.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 270-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 19-14 overall on the season
-Advance the Jackets to round three of the WNIT to face the winner of the Wake Forest/MTSU game
-Be the third win in program history over UCF and move the all-time series record to 3-0 in favor of Tech
-Move Tech’s all-time record when competing in the WNIT to 9-5
-Be the first time since 2000 the Jackets reached round three of the WNIT
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 271st career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 645th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Central Florida have met twice in regular season action, dating back to 2002 and 2003. The Jackets took both meetings, including a 70-48 victory in Atlanta in 2003. Tech saw action from 14 different players against the Knights in 2003 and was led by Fallon Stokes with 20 points. UCF shot 46.7 percent from the field compared to Tech’s 41.9 percent, but the Jackets dominated on the glass, 43-23.
LAST TIME OUT
The Jackets advanced to round two of the WNIT after defeating Jacksonville on Thursday, 71-55 in McCamish Pavilion. Tech was led in scoring by three Jackets in double-figures, but a strong performance at the charity stripe (21-28) helped pave the way to victory. The Dolphins won the rebounding battle over the Jackets, but Tech used a balanced offense seeing 31 points off the bench to advance in the postseason.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Through the seven appearances in the postseason tournament (including 2017), the Jackets have posted an 8-5 record, including advancing to the second round three straight seasons. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.