March 2, 2016
Georgia Tech Game Notes 2015-16 Info Guide Season Statistics Buy Tickets
- Georgia Tech heads to the ACC Tournament as the No. 7 seed and will face either No. 10 Wake Forest or No. 15 Clemson on Thursday at 6 p.m. The game is on RSN with Tom Werme and Debbie Antonelli. Richard Musterer and Kurt Hoyt will have the call on WREK 91.1.
- Georgia Tech defeated Wake Forest in the season finale at home, 66-51, on Feb. 18. The Jackets own the series lead against the Demon Deacons, 41-24. The Yellow Jackets also picked up two wins against Clemson earlier this year, winning 76-63 at Clemson and 77-48 in the meeting at home. Tech has won 21 of the past 23 meetings against the Tigers.
- Senior Aaliyah Whiteside leads the ACC with her 19.4 points per game which is 38th in the nation. She is second on the Jackets in rebounding with 7.2 boards per game, which is 10th in the ACC. She has scored at least 20 points in 16 of 29 games and has five double-doubles this season. She scored her 1,000th career point against Southeastern Louisiana.
- Senior Roddreka Rogers has been back to her old ways, recording a double-double in three of the past six games. Rogers has had three double-doubles vs. conference opponents – Syracuse, Miami and Duke. She has 23 career double-doubles which is first among active players in the ACC.
- Head coach MaChelle Joseph became the all-time winningest coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history last year and has a career record of 250-160 and the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.0 percent. She is currently in her 13th season at the helm of the Jackets and is 95-102 in her career in ACC play. She is going for her 250th win against Wake Forest.
a win would…
– Give the Yellow Jackets a 16-36 overall record in the ACC Tournament and a 11-12 mark under Coach Joseph.
– Put the Jackets at 1-1 in the second round of the ACC Tournament.
– Be the fifth-straight win for Georgia Tech, tying its season-longest win streak (5 from USC Upstate to IUPUI) .
– Be the 251st win of Coach Joseph’s career and give her a 251-160 overall record.
– Give Georgia Tech its 626th program win and put Georgia Tech at 626-587 overall over 41 years of women’s basketball.
WHITESIDE NAMED FIRST TEAM ALL-ACC
Senior Aaliyah Whiteside was named First Team All-ACC by the Blue Ribbon Panel. Whiteside is the sixth Jacket to earn All-ACC First Team accolades. Whiteside’s appointment on the All-ACC First Team marks the fourth-straight year Tech has had a player honored on the first team. This is the first postseason award for Whiteside. She was named the ACC Player of the Week earlier this season on Nov. 16.
Whiteside is the third Jacket under Joseph to garner the accolade joining Tyaunna Marshall (2013, 2014) and Kaela Davis (2015). Tech’s three other All-ACC first team members are Kisha Ford (1997), Sonja Mallory (2003) and Ida Neal (1989).
acc tournament history
After finishing the 2015-16 season on a four-game winning streak with a 18-11 overall record and a 8-8 mark in the ACC, the Georgia Tech women’s basketball team has been slated as the #7 seed in the 2016 ACC Tournament. The Yellow Jackets are 15-36 overall in the ACC Tournament and 10-12 under Coach Joseph. With an expanded conference, the ACC Tournament features first and second rounds, quarterfinals, semifinals and the championship. Under Coach Joseph, the Jackets are 1-1 in the second round. In the ACC Tournament the Yellow Jackets are 2-4 against Clemson, which includes an 80-53 win in last year’s first round and 2-2 against Wake Forest.
rogers vs. the tigers
Senior Roddreka Rogers has had some of her best games in a Yellow Jacket uniform against Clemson. Over the past three seasons and in nine games, Rogers has averaged 10.6 points per game and 11.7 rebounds per game against Clemson. In the three times the Jackets faced the Tigers in 2015, Rogers averaged an impressive 16.7 points per game and 17.0 rebounds per game. Rogers has recorded a double-double against Clemson in five of the seven past meetings and scored 10 points in the previous meeting in Atlanta.
acc scoring title
If senior Aaliyah Whiteside continues to lead the ACC in scoring, she will be only the second Yellow Jacket to capture the ACC scoring title. The scoring title is determined at the conclusion of the post season after all games are played. The only other Jacket to lead the ACC in scoring at the conclusion of the season was Dolores Bootz in 1988. She averaged 20.6 ppg over 27 games.
Whiteside is currently averaging 19.4 points per game. She has 1,499 career points and ranks ninth on Tech’s all-time scoring list.
Georgia Tech’s All-Time Scoring List
- Tyaunna Marshall (2011-14) 2,129
- Kisha Ford (1994-97) 1,955
- Karen Lounsbury (1989-92) 1,743
- Dolores Bootz (1985-88) 1,723
- Carla Munnion (1995-98) 1,671
- Chioma Nnamaka (2005-08) 1,593
- Alex Montgomery (2008-11) 1,565
- Joyce Pierce (1991-93) 1,557
- Aaliyah Whiteside (2012-pres.) 1,499
- Janie Mitchell (2005-08) 1,422
Kate Brandt (1981-84) 1,422
clutch from the charity stripe
Senior Aaliyah Whiteside went 4-for-4 from the foul line in the final 18.7 seconds to secure the Yellow Jackets win at Pitt. Whiteside is shooting 83.7 percent (36-for-43) from the free throw line in the final five minutes of games and is 84.8 percent from the line overall (189-for-223). Whiteside has only missed 34 free throws the entire season and has shot 100 percent from the charity stripe seven times this season.