March 6, 2015
THE FLATS- The #56 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team improved to 2-1 in conference play after defeating Louisville, 5-2, at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex Friday evening.
“We are happy today with our 5-2 win over Louisville” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We played very, very well in doubles. They have good doubles teams so I’m happy with the way we played in doubles. I thought that Johnnise, Paige and Kendal all played very well in singles and in doubles. I was happy Rasheeda was able to win. We have some off to prepare for a big stretch of matches against Miami, Florida State and Notre Dame and Northwestern.”
During doubles play, McAdoo and sophomore Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer cruised to an 8-3 victory on court two over Olivia Boesing and Chloe Willets. Renaud and junior Natsha Prokhnevska finished play soon after, defeating Louisville’s pairing of Manuela Velasquez and Jessie Lynn Paul, 8-3, on court three to give the Jackets a 1-0 advantage.
On court one, the battle between the Yellow Jackets’ #36 Kendal Woodard and Paige Hourigan and the Cardinals’ Elle Stokes and Ariana Rodriguez went unfinished after the Jackets captured two doubles victories to win the first point of the match.
The Yellow Jackets have won the doubles point in seven of nine matches this spring.
A singles win by #67 Renaud on court one gave the Jackets a quick 2-0 lead. Renaud defeated Jessie Lynn Paul in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. On court two, Paige Hourigan, ranked 57th in the nation, took down Ariana Rodriguez in two quick sets, 6-1, 6-1, giving Tech a 3-0 lead in the match.
Moments later, Kendal Woodard clinched the match for the Yellow Jackets with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Cassie Pough on court four. With the win, Woodard improved her record to 3-0 in conference matches this spring.
Louisville responded with two quick singles wins after Alexis Prokopuik fell to Olivia Boesing,6-4, 6-3, on court five and Natasha Prokhnevska was defeated by Manuela Velasquez, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), on court three.
On court six, Rasheeda McAdoo won the longest singles match of the day, finishing off Chloe Willits, 7-6, (7-3), 7-6 (7-4).
The Jackets return to action on Sunday, March 15th, as they host #14 Miami at 10:30 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Georgia Tech
Mar 06, 2015 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#56 Georgia Tech 5, Louisville 2
1. #67 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Jessie Lynn Paul (LOU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #57 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Cassie Pough (LOU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Chloe Willetts (LOU) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-4)
1. #36 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) vs. Elle Stokes/Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) 7-5, unfinished
2. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Olivia Boesing/Chloe Willetts (LOU) 8-3
3. Johnnise Renaud/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Manuela Velasquez/Jessie Lynn Paul (LOU) 8-3
Georgia Tech 5-4; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,4,5,3,6)
Match played indoors