Feb. 12, 2016
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The No. 24 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (5-2) won 5-2 at No. 58 Tennessee (4-2) on Friday afternoon.
“I felt like we played very well in doubles today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “Our two and three teams were able to clinch the doubles point for us. In singles, it was a battle on a lot of courts. Alexis [Prokopuik] winning on six and Johnnise [Renaud] winning at two really got us rolling. We were very happy with the way we played against a very good Tennessee team.”
The Yellow Jackets started out the match with a 1-0 lead thanks to two doubles victories on courts two and three. Junior Rasheeda McAdoo and sophomore Johnnise Renaud stayed undefeated this season at 6-0 after defeating MC Meredith and Kim Kermet, 6-3, at the number two spot. Senior Megan Kurey and junior Anton-Ohlmeyer were quick to finish up next, securing the 1-0 advantage with a 6-2 victory against Brittany Lindl and Gabby Schuck. The Yellow Jackets are 5-0 when winning the doubles point this season.
Sophomore Alexis Prokopuik won the next point for the Yellow Jackets, tallying a 6-0, 6-3 win against Schuck on court six. The Volunteers scored their first point of the match after Lindl defeated Anton-Ohlmeyer, 6-2, 6-2.
Georgia Tech then won the next two points in three set matches to clinch the fourth-straight victory against Tennessee.
On court four, senior Kendal Woodard won her first set against Eve Repic, 6-1, before falling 6-3 in set two. Woodard went on to blank Repic, 6-0, in the third set. Sophomore Paige Hourigan clinched the win for the Jackets after taking down MC Meredith, 6-3, 0-6, 6-1, on court three.
Renaud, who is ranked No. 61 in singles, added to Georgia Tech’s lead with her 6-3, 6-3 victory against Kim Kermet at the number two spot. On court one, No. 56 McAdoo fell in her match, 7-5, 6-3, to No. 100 Sadie Hammond.
The Yellow Jackets stay on the road, traveling to No. 6 Ohio State on Sunday at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Tennessee
Feb 12, 2016 at Knoxville, Tenn.
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
#24 Georgia Tech 5, #59 Tennessee 2
- #100 Sadie Hammond (UT-W) def. #56 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 7-5, 6-3
- #61 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Kim Kermet (UT-W) 6-3, 6-3
- Paige Hourigan (GT) def. MC Meredith (UT-W) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
- Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Eve Repic (UT-W) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
- Brittany Lindl (UT-W) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 6-2, 6-2
- Alexis Prokopuik (GT) def. Gabby Schuck (UT-W) 6-0, 6-3
- Sadie Hammond/Eve Repic (UT-W) vs. #58 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) 5-6, unfinished
- Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. MC Meredith/Kim Kermet (UT-W) 6-3
- Megan Kurey/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Brittany Lindl/Gabby Schuck (UT-W) 6-2
Georgia Tech 4-2; National ranking #24
Tennessee 4-1; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,4,3,2,1)