Sept. 30, 2017
THE FLATS – Taking a 38-point lead into day two of the White vs. Gold intrasquad meet on Saturday morning, the Gold Team used 10 wins over the final 20 events on day two, including in the diving relay, to pull away with the 355-286 victory over the White Team in Georgia Tech swimming & diving’s annual White vs. Gold meet at the McAuley Aquatic Center.
The Yellow Jackets will open up the 2017-18 regular season with an ACC home meet versus Pittsburgh next Friday, Oct. 6, at 3 p.m. at McAuley.
Gold Team’s Highlights
The Gold Team started off the day with back-to-back wins in the 200 medley relay, as the women’s team of Allie Paschal, Florina Ilie, Laura Branton and Kaitlin Kitchens touched the wall first with a time of 1:44.36. The men’s squad of Rodrigo Correia, Jonathan Yang, Christian Ferraro and Jeffrey Murray took first overall for the Gold Team in the men’s relay race with a time of 1:31.53.
In the diving relay, the Gold Team defeated the White Team head-to-head, as each diver had one dive apiece from both the 3-meter springboard and the platform with each score adding to a team total.
A slew of freshmen scored individual wins for the Gold squad on Saturday in Ferraro, Julia Shuford, Yang and Paschal.
Ferraro (49.20) was victorious for the Gold Team in the men’s 100 fly, while Shuford (2:22.92) and Yang (2:05.84) swept the 200 breast events. Paschal’s victory would come in the women’s 100 back, as she touched the wall first with her time of 56.36.
Not to be outdone, returners Correia and Emily Ilgenfritz also recorded victories for the Gold squad, Correia in the men’s 100 back (50.13) and Ilgenfritz in the women’s 1000 free (10:27.68), while the relay team of Murray, Franco Reyes, Ferraro and Correia closed out the meet with a first-place finish in the 400 free relay with their time of 3:02.44.
White Team’s Highlights
A duo of freshmen in Catriona MacGregor (4:32.04) and Caio Pumputis (3:57.03) posted back-to-back wins for the White Team in the women’s and men’s 400 IM, while junior Iris Wang (1:50.00) and freshman Albert Zhi (1:41.00) followed with two straight wins in the 200 free events.
After sophomore Chloe Miller posted a victory in the women’s 100 fly with a time of 57.69, Wang recorded her second win of the day in the women’s 50 free with her time of 23.46.
The White squad also took home a first-place finish in the women’s 400 free relay, as the team of Lindsay Wallace, MacGregor, Megan Hansen and Wang sped off with the victory with their time of 3:28.57.
* Catriona MacGregor set a new meet record in the women’s 400 IM with a time of 4:32.04.
* Caio Pumputis posted a new intrasquad record in the men’s 400 IM with his time of 3:57.03.
* Iris Wang broke her own meet record in the women’s 200 free with her time of 1:50.00.
* Wang also set the new intrasquad meet record in the women’s 50 free with a time of 23.46.
* Julia Shuford set a new White vs. Gold meet record in the women’s 200 breast with a time of 2:22.92.
* Noah Harasz recorded a new meet record in the 50 free with his time of 20.64.
* Emily Ilgenfritz registered a new meet record in the women’s 1000 free with her time of 10:27.68.
* Colt Williamson tallied a new White vs. Gold meet record in the men’s 1000 free with his time of 9:44.28.
For the latest information on Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Swimming & Diving, follow us on Twitter (@GTSwimDive), Instagram (@GTSwimDive), and Facebook (Georgia Tech Swimming & Diving) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.