Aug. 4, 2017
THE FLATS – Thanks to a surge of excitement and incredible support from alumni and fans, Georgia Tech athletics has closed the books on a strong fundraising year, director of athletics Todd Stansbury announced on Friday.
Overall gifts and commitments received by the Alexander-Tharpe Fund, Georgia Tech athletics’ fundraising arm, exceeded $19 million for the 2016-17 fiscal year (which ended on June 30), an increase of more than 25 percent from the previous year.
- a 20-plus-percent increase in gifts to the Athletic Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships to Georgia Tech student-athletes;
- a 20-plus-percent increase in sport-specific gifts;
- an increase in gifts to the football and men’s basketball TECH Funds, coming off of their nine- and 21-win seasons, respectively;
- commitments of more than $5 million for endowed scholarships, including a single commitment of $1 million;
- more than $3 million in gifts received for facilities projects;
- an increase in total donors to Georgia Tech athletics, a number that now stands just shy of 8,000.
“I have been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm of Tech alumni and fans since my arrival back on The Flats last fall,” said Stansbury, a former Georgia Tech football student-athlete and athletics administrator who was named the Institute’s ninth director of athletics on Sept. 22, 2016. “On behalf of our coaches, staff and, most importantly, our terrific student-athletes, I can’t thank our donors enough for their generous support. Enhanced philanthropy is a cornerstone of our plan for continued excellence and 2016-17 is certainly a great indicator of the excitement building around the Yellow Jackets. We look forward to carrying this great momentum into 2017-18 and beyond.”
In an effort to build on the wave of momentum that is permeating throughout The Flats, Georgia Tech athletics and the A-T Fund have announced that the week of Sept. 23-30 will be Georgia Tech’s second-annual SWARM WEEK, culminating with A-T Day when Tech football hosts North Carolina at Bobby Dodd Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30.
SWARM WEEK is a week-long celebration aimed at enhancing the reach of the A-T Fund and increasing awareness of the importance and positive impact that philanthropy has on Georgia Tech athletics. On A-T Day, the Alexander-Tharpe Fund will recognize and thank its faithful and generous donors throughout the course of the Yellow Jackets’ annual Whiteout game versus longtime ACC rival UNC.
Stay tuned for more SWARM WEEK information over the coming weeks.
To learn more about the A-T Fund and to support the Jackets, visit atfund.org.