Nov. 5, 2009
ATLANTA – With continued road construction in the city of Atlanta, the Georgia Tech Athletic Association wants to encourage fans to make plans to arrive on campus early Saturday.
The following is a list of events/changes in and around the Bobby Dodd Stadium area this weekend:
1. Three northbound lanes of I-85, as well as both (I-85 and I-75) HOV lanes will be closed beginning at 10th Street this weekend due to delayed construction on the connector. The Georgia Department of Transportation is expecting heavy delays all weekend for drivers and suggests using surface streets as alternate routes. A few suggestions for those fans that would be driving in this direction:
For fans traveling northbound on I-75 from south of the city: Take Exit 246 (Fulton Street/Central Avenue/Downtown). Follow the exit ramp until it forks, staying to the left to continue on to Central Avenue. Continue north on Central Avenue; it will turn into Peachtree Center Avenue (at Decatur Street) before merging with Peachtree Street. Proceed north on Peachtree Street to 10th Street. If entering campus at 5th Street or North Avenue, proceed north on Peachtree Street to Linden Avenue and turn left. Follow one block to West Peacthree Street and turn right. From West Peachtree, drivers can turn left onto North Avenue and 5th Street.
For fans traveling westbound on I-20 who typically take the I-75/85 connector to campus: Remain on I-20 past the cutoff for I-75/85 and take Exit 56B (Windsor Street/Spring Street). Turn right onto Windsor/Spring Street, and continue north; it will eventually become West Peachtree Street. Follow West Peachtree to North Avenue, 5th Street, and 10th Streets. Turn left on any of these streets to proceed to campus.
For fans traveling eastbound on I-20 who typically take the I-75/85 connector to campus: Take Exit 56B (Windsor Street/Spring Street/Turner Field) and turn left onto Windsor/Spring Street. Continue north, and the road will eventually become West Peachtree Street. Follow West Peachtree to North Avenue, 5th Street, and 10th Streets. Turn left on any of these streets to proceed to campus.
2. Fans are encouraged to arrive early at the gates as additional security procedures will be in place at Bobby Dodd Stadium for this weekend’s game. A reminder that a number of items are strictly prohibited from Bobby Dodd Stadium, including book bags and other large purses/bags, strollers, umbrellas and large stadium seats. A list of additional prohibited items can be found on page 10 of the 2009 Football Fan Guide.
3. Georgia Tech Athletics has updated parking maps and directions to all parking areas, and those are available on the Georgia Tech Athletics Parking Website. Also included on this site are areas for fans to catch transportation shuttles which travel to and from the stadium, as well as updates on road closures and detours around campus on game day.
4. Those fans who travel I-85 northbound post-game may wish to consider alternate routes. The Georgia Department of Transportation will work from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. on the road construction, and alternate routes to consider may be:
* West Peachtree to the Buford Highway Connector
* Northside Drive to I-75 South (to I-85 North)
5. For those patrons who use North Avenue eastbound following the game, a reminder of the alternate egress procedures in place against Wake Forest are listed HERE.