March 15, 2016
THE FLATS –.The Georgia Tech softball team (7-14) used eight hits to score seven runs to defeat the NC Central Eagles (1-20), 7-0, Tuesday afternoon at Mewborn Field.
How It Happened
The Jackets jumped out to a quick lead after scoring six runs on five hits in the opening frame. Samantha Pierannunzi drew a leadoff walk, stole second and scored on a single by Katie Krzus, who came out on top of a 12-pitch at bat.
Georgia Tech added a run in the third inning as Kowalewicz was hit by a pitch and Ellebracht singled. The runners moved up on a groundout from Lionberger, and a passed ball brought Kowalewicz in for the 7-0 lead.
Jenna Goodrich (2-5) earned the win after striking out a career-high eight batters and pitching a three-hit shutout in seven innings.
London Booker (1-8) suffered the loss after allowing five runs on four hits in 0.1 innings pitched.
“I thought we came out with a different mentality today,” head coach Shelly Hoerner said. “If you start off with a good mentality, things start to go your way. I liked how Sam is leading us off to get on base whether that’s a walk or a hit. She’s doing a great job as a leadoff. She goes; we go.
“I think Jenna pitched a great game and definitely kept them off balance. We changed our game plan a couple times throughout the game pitch-calling wise. She executed the plan well.”
– Freshman Jenna Goodrich struck out a career-high eight batters
– The Jackets used every player on the roster except pitcher Emily Anderson
– Sophomore Kelsey Chisholm hit her first home run of the year – a three-run bomb to left
– Eight different Yellow Jackets registered the eight hits
– Krzus, Pierannunzi, Ziese, Chisholm, and Ellebracht each scored a run; Kowalewicz crossed the plate twice
– Chisholm had three RBI, Lionberger had two and Krzus had one
– Pierannunzi drew two walks, while Sydney Stavro, Krzus and Ziese each had one walk
The Yellow Jackets are back in action Wednesday, March 16 with a doubleheader against Tennessee State beginning at 4 p.m.