April 11, 2015
TECH STARTERS: Spingola/CF, Peurifoy/RF, Gonzalez/LF, Murray/DH, Smith/1B, Justus/SS, Bailey/2B, P:abst/C, Gold/1B, King/SP.
UVA STARTERS: Haseley/CF, Pinero/SS, Thaiss/C, Towns/3B, Smith/LF, Doherty/RF, Clement/2B, Coman/1B, Lowry/DH, Kirby/SP.
· No. 15 Virginia took the opener of an ACC series at Russ Chandler Stadium Friday night by beating Georgia Tech, 14-4.
· The game was delayed one hour and 42 minutes by rain.
· The Yellow Jackets slipped to 22-12 overall and 7-9 in the ACC, while the Cavaliers improved to 21-12, 7-9.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Virginia struck for seven runs in the third and added two more in fourth for a 9-0 lead.
· A.J. Murray’s solo homer put Tech on the board in the home half of the fourth and the senior added another RBI for the Jackets, who got two more back in the fifth.
· Tech closed the gap to 9-4 in the sixth with an RBI single from Brandon Gold and threatened for more before leaving the bases loaded.
· Virginia pulled away with five unanswered over the final three innings.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
· Daniel Spingola drew a fifth-inning walk to stretch his reached-base streak to 25 games, which extends a career high.
· Murray, Gold and Thomas Smith each had two hits for the Yellow Jackets.
· Tech starter Jonathan King absorbed the loss (2-2), while Nathan Kirby earned the win (5-2).
· The Yellow Jackets drew nine walks in the game and left 13 runners stranded on base.
“We didn’t make enough pitches, we didn’t make enough plays and we struggled to get hits when we had guys in scoring position. We’ve got to regroup quickly and hopefully we can play better tomorrow.”
–Head Coach Danny Hall
UP NEXT: The Yellow Jackets and Cavaliers continue their three-game series Saturday at 4 p.m. on ESPN3.