Aug. 27, 2016
AUBURN, Ala. – Senior libero London Ackermann was named tournament MVP as the Georgia Tech volleyball team (3-0) swept Furman (1-2) Saturday to sweep the competition at the War Eagle Invite. Annika Van Gunst and Teegan Van Gunst were also named to the all-tournament team.
How It Happened
Georgia Tech took the lead from the start of set one and never looked back to win 25-13. Furman settled into the match in game two, which featured 11 tied scores and two lead changes, but the Jackets prevailed 25-20. Tech put the match away with a 25-17 win in game three.
“Our team played very focused and we were able to stop Furman’s go to players and execute our great plan,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “It was a great weekend overall. I’m proud of this entire group. There was not one match that we finished with the same line up we started. We had players step up in every match and come in and make an impact. This group is special and I am looking forward to getting back in gym and getting better for next weekend.”
– The Yellow Jackets have started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2012.
– London Ackermann tallied 11 digs in the win and accumulated 61 on the weekend. She added four aces against the Paladins.
– Annika Van Gunst added 13 digs and eight kills.
– Teegan Van Gunst led all players on the court with 12 kills on 31 swings with just one error (.355). Gabriela Stavnetchei added five kills.
– Rebecca Martin recorded 29 assists and was one dig away (9) from a double-double.
– The Jackets used an aggressive serving game with nine aces compared to Furman’s three.
The Jackets are back in action Sept. 2-3 at the Kansas State Invitational when they play Tennessee State, Michigan and Kansas State.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech volleyball team, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.